How do you know when you are ready.............

To take your bike test??

After taking what feels like an incredibly steep learning curve over the last 3 months, I am now at the stage where the 125 is getting a bit boring :-( I feel I could do with a bit more throttle power to enjoy biking more!

Hubby & father-in-law seem to think speed & corners are up to scratch and that I should get on with big bike lessons & MOD 1 & 2.

I still feel sceptical that I could pass, although hubby says everyone feels this way.

I suppose my question is, does everyone feel daunted by the thought of "the mod tests", or should I actually think "of course I can do it", in which case, back to the 125 for a few more hundred miles!!!

mod 1 - those manoeuvres are easily taught.

mod 2 - the instructor wants to see that you can ride smoothly and safely - by the sounds of things you can.

tbf - after a couple of weeks on the 125 riding every day, i'd say most people are ready to step up to the bigger bikes. They're alot safer. They can handle the speed much better and brake much harder. The weight is nothing to worry about, you get used to it to the point where you won't notice it.

I say go for it. it won't cost you millions if you fail - which i wouldn't imagine you would anyway.

Well i did most of my training around christmas time and did the mod 1. Sadly due to numerous test cancellations, the law change and waiting for my instructor to get a 46.6bhp bike i didn't get chance to do the mod 2 till recently even though i hadn't touched a bike in 6 months, i only had 2, 1 hour lessons to refresh myself and i passed first time. I'd say to go to an instructor and ask for a go on a bigger machine to see what it feels like and ask him to go through the tests with you, i'm sure after some experience though you'll find it no problem.

Mod 1 is all about your control. You do emergency stops, slow riding maneuvers (figure of 8, U turns, slalom, slow ride...) and the swerve. The swerve was the only one that caught me out and i clipped a cone on my first attempt in a test despite doing it probably 30 times properly in the playground prior. Practice the exercises with an instructor and you will know when you're ready.

Mod 2 is like your car test, they take you on the road and follow you. They're looking for you being safe and law abiding more than anything.

Also, if you haven't done a theory test you'll need to take one of them (not sure if you need one for your CBT or not). TBH that's mostly common sense, but there's the odd tricky question thrown in there. There's free online practices and you can get DVDs pretty cheap to practice the awareness part.

Thanks for the replies guys............ I have taken the bull by the horns and called my instructor, who has told me to pop in and have a test on the er6.

My next question, as I am only 5ft 5 and eight stone, if I find the big bike (er6) too big, am I able to take my test on a 400 and have a restricted licence?

I'm really not interested (at the mo) in having a big bike. I'm conscious of having something I can handle & manoeuvre comfortably, I don't want to feel intimidated by a huge heavy bike.

My plan at the moment is to progress to a ninja 300 or cbr 250............ I think I'd be reasonably happy with either. I'm lovin my little cbr 125 to learn on, but feel I could have more fun if I had a tiny bit more acceleration/ speed.

:-)

Thanks for the replies guys............ I have taken the bull by the horns and called my instructor, who has told me to pop in and have a test on the er6.

My next question, as I am only 5ft 5 and eight stone, if I find the big bike (er6) too big, am I able to take my test on a 400 and have a restricted licence?

I'm really not interested (at the mo) in having a big bike. I'm conscious of having something I can handle & manoeuvre comfortably, I don't want to feel intimidated by a huge heavy bike.

My plan at the moment is to progress to a ninja 300 or cbr 250............ I think I'd be reasonably happy with either. I'm lovin my little cbr 125 to learn on, but feel I could have more fun if I had a tiny bit more acceleration/ speed.

:-)

You may want to pm littlecat......but I'm sure she'll say just go for it...... :wink:

The license restriction goes on power, not engine size. If the bike you do the tests on is under 46.6bhp you will qualify for an A2 category licence, meaning 46.6 bhp is the highest you can ride. If you go over that you get your full A license and you can ride anything. That's how i understood it anyway.

You can still get light bikes over the 46.6 limit and personally i'd say its better to have the freedom to go over if you ever wanted to rather than being stuck with a limit when you don't really need it. But obviously that's up to you.

Read through this for the official rules...

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/rules-for-mopeds-and-motorcycles-used-in-the-practical-riding-test

The license restriction goes on power, not engine size. If the bike you do the tests on is under 46.6bhp you will qualify for an A2 category licence, meaning 46.6 bhp is the highest you can ride. If you go over that you get your full A license and you can ride anything. That's how i understood it anyway.

The bikes you do the test on are engine size and power

The licence you get is purely restrictive on power.

A2 you have to do the test on a bike at least 400cc (most will use 500's since that's what they have from the last round of test rules) and between 33 and 46hp (with a power/weight restriction but I don't think anything falls foul of that?)

When you then pass you are restricted to 47hp but the bike can't have started with more than twice that.

You can take the restricted licence if you're worried about the 600, of course you can.

The er6 is a very controllable machine, you should get on just fine with it at your height. Remember to relax and keep your head up and not alot should go wrong. I love mine, it's confidence inspiring (having said that, I will be getting shot after the winter commute in favour of a street triple).

There is a seat lowering kit available for it, if it doesn't already have one, perhaps you could persuade your instructor to install it.