category A1

Guest fraserdredude

just wondering if anyone can help, ive been riding my geared bike (yzf-r125) for 3 months and am looking at doing a1 test in about 2 months time and seems to me a £400 pound course seems a bit pointless when im fairly used to a geared bike and its £100 for a test without doing a course, is it easy enough to pass without doing training? I wouldn't mind doing the course too much if I wasn't tight on money at the moment. any help would be much appreciated.

:stupid:

A1 test....that you take on a 125cc bike and if you pass will allow you to ride a 125cc bike... :shock:

So....if you passed you could ride on motorways and take a pillion.....on a 125cc bike......personally I don't think I'd bother......wait until you're 19 and take the A2 test...... :wink:

i am 19, but i thought because of the new rules you had to of been riding with the A1 for 2 years before going for the A2? anyway, if i were to go for the A2 is training advised, or could i just go for the test and save myself some precious pennies!

If you can hire a bike from a school to take the test on then go for it. The issue is though, it would need delivering to the test centre, be insured for you to drive and hiring the school bike with some training makes life so much easier as you drive there with your trainer and they take care of the insurance and the bike being legal. The A2 bike will be a bit bigger and heavier as well so training would probably be beneficial as there is no other way to practice on one on your own.

Certainly don't bother doing the A1 on your bike if you are already 19 unless for some reason you want to keep riding a 125 once passing your test.

The 2 year thing comes in when passing your A2. I believe you can then take the A test 2 years after passing A2 (potentially 21) or 24 whichever is sooner.

if money is that tight, then wait a bit longer and save some pennies...yes training is important... if not in how to ride, then at least in how to pass the test....will save you in the long run , as retests can soon mount up

Id get a little training..

Theres a huge difference between knowing how to ride on the roads and avoid plonkers and the style in which you have to ride to pass the test..

I did the A2 and 5 years on I'm still glad I had the training I did :)