xt125 increasing revs on by its self

Guest leelittle

Hi lads new here and also new to biking really.Brought my first bike yesterday xt125.

So my problem is the bike idles fine when I start it but when its warmed up it will increase the revs by itself. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas what it could be.

Lee

lower the tick over and use the choke to start

Could it just be as simple as that? When I turn the throttle it returns

To 2 bars on the rev counter then will creep up again to about 5 bars

Are you using the choke correctly mate......if it's like the CG125 it'll be fully up to start....then down one click to the mid position to warm up....and then fully down to turn it off..... :wink:

Ive got it set so its pushed fully away from me

Says thats the closed position

Sorry...been doing dinner.....now where were we?

Ahh yes.....sounds like the choke is different to the CG.....so scrub round what I said....although the problem could be the choke sticking on....... :wink:

What is the age of the bike....and if it's not new....what sort of service history does it have?........ :wink:

Also it may be worth looking around the manifold where the carb (I'm guessing it's carbed) joins the cylinder head....any air leaks around there will cause the engine to rev high on it's own.... :wink:

Just a few ideas of what may be wrong.......if your lucky some of the more knowledgeable guys will be on here later...and they'll have some better ideas...... 8-)

Sorry...been doing dinner.....now where were we?

Ahh yes.....sounds like the choke is different to the CG.....so scrub round what I said....although the problem could be the choke sticking on....... :wink:

What is the age of the bike....and if it's not new....what sort of service history does it have?........ :wink:

Also it may be worth looking around the manifold where the carb (I'm guessing it's carbed) joins the cylinder head....any air leaks around there will cause the engine to rev high on it's own.... :wink:

Just a few ideas of what may be wrong.......if your lucky some of the more knowledgeable guys will be on here later...and they'll have some better ideas...... 8-)

Thanks for the reply mate. Its on a 57 plate no service history I dont think but that

Was reflected in the price I suppose. 12000 miles on the clock and probably been just sitting in storage

For a few months as the lad had past his test.

Only using the bike to commute a few miles to work as the missis needs the car

And till I can afford to do my full license. But its just annoying as when I get to the lights

Will have a nose at the carb tomorrow :) thanks again

It sounds like im revvin it up on purpose lol

easy way to check for air leaks around the carb is spray some wd40 aorund the inlet manifold while the engine is running the revs will go up pretty quick then if it is drawing air in and leaking,i would also check condition of air filter and clean/replace as required with it

• 8 years later...