Help wanted re Fazer FZS 600

polecat

A very reliable first push of the button Fazer normally, this morning The bike would not fire at all despite continued turning it over with and without choke ... I fiddled with all the things that may have micro switches and went through the gears with the engine off .

After some time I tried again and with a backfire the bike started and ran normally

Same happened when I tried to set off from the place I went to, ie. not firing then for no reason a while later it backfired then started and ran normally.

What could be wrong with it ?

last time I rode it was raining and working fine and I did put it away wet ....... it has a datol 2 alarm fitted which appears to be working fine ?

Why would it not start then later start with a backfire ?

Any help really appreciated :)

The backfire is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust......so that suggests that it's not fuelling that's the problem......so it's probably spark.......unless something has knocked the timing out.... :?

So I'd be checking plug leads, plugs, coils, etc.....start with the easy stuff and then progress on from there if that don't sort it...... :wink:

Didn't someone else with a Fazer come on here a little while ago with problems....but I think that was when the bike had been running for a bit......I think it turned out he had some water in the float bowls in the carbs.....or soemthing like that.

Anyway.....maybe a good squirt round with WD40 may help too...... 8-)

Thanks I ordered some ACF50 the weird thing is once its running it is normal its just that time it will not fire for ages then it fires and backfires then starts and runs normally !

sounds like it could be over fueling next time its cold tr it without choke and just a touch of throttle see if that makes any difference

I rang the Motorbike engineer and he said the backfire is over fueling like you say but the lack of fireing is the kick stand switch and or the Datatool alarm playing up So I am going to arrange to have it removed and destroyed because it is a total pain in the ass especially in the winter when it eats my battery and the stupid fob wont disarm it !!!!

Hmmmm.....I don't think I would be so hasty to get rid of it. Dunno about your bike but mine will not even turn the starter if the side stand is down and the bike is in gear......and if the immobiliser isn't disarmed, turning the ignition on does absolutely nothing....no lights, dials, nowt..... :wink: I can't remember what happened with the datatool alarm I had on the Speed 4....but it would squawk and howl if it wasn't disarmed before trying to start the bike.......so I'm wondering if these really are the culprits for your starting problems..... :wink:

the reason why the alarm won't disarm in winter is that its gone in to sleep mode due to the battery getting too low this is to help prevent the battery getting too flat

when it goes into sleep mode the alarm needs to be set off by turning the ignition on

keeping it on a charger will solve this

as for the shit starting I would look at replacing plugs first I can't see how it can be running too rich if nothing has been touched unless the choke is stuck but then when its warm it wouldn't run right at all

also check out the battery if its been flat a few times it might have lost its oomph and not enough power to provide a decent spark

the reason why the alarm won't disarm in winter is that its gone in to sleep mode due to the battery getting too low this is to help prevent the battery getting too flat

when it goes into sleep mode the alarm needs to be set off by turning the ignition on

as for the shit starting I would look at replacing plugs first I can't see how it can be running too rich if nothing has been touched unless the choke is stuck but then when its warm it wouldn't run right at all

also check out the battery if its been flat a few times it might have lost its oomph and not enough power to provide a decent spark

I sprayed wd40 down the ignition overnight and it started for the first time first push of the button.

I am convinced it is an electrical issue as all the plugs battery ect were replaced recently.

It is acting like it is immobilised as it turns over strong but no firing at all then suddenly it will start first touch of the button !

It is becoming a real pain as it has always been so dependable :roll:

I sprayed wd40 down the ignition overnight and it started for the first time first push of the button.

I am convinced it is an electrical issue as all the plugs battery ect were replaced recently.

It is acting like it is immobilised as it turns over strong but no firing at all then suddenly it will start first touch of the button !

It is becoming a real pain as it has always been so dependable :roll:

Spraying down the ignition key hole seems to have done the trick as the bike has been starting ok all day without problems

It is acting like it is immobilised as it turns over strong but no firing at all then suddenly it will start first touch of the button

If it was acting as though it was immobilised it wouldn't turn over thats what the datatool alarm does :)

It is acting like it is immobilised as it turns over strong but no firing at all then suddenly it will start first touch of the button

If it was acting as though it was immobilised it wouldn't turn over thats what the datatool alarm does :)

Yes I have stopped blaming the Alarm now Stu, and its a stay of execution :D

I read on Fazer owners club that sometimes a turn of the key can look like its working but when water gets down the key hole it can sometimes not make the complete contact to the ignition and will turn over but not fire which is what I think happened ?

Cant wait for my ACF50 to arrive as I never had any problems when I was using that stuff :cheers: