indicator light blowing repeatedly??

buggerit

ok so i changed my indicators as the old ones were massive. i stayed with bulbs instead of leds. the old bulbs were 21amp the new bulbs are 23amp. one bulb keeps blowing but not the same bulb so far itsa now been both the back ones. theres two things i can think of. the 23amp bulbs are just that too much and so i could go down to 21amp. Or the wiiring harness for the bike for the rear indicators is on the right hand side, when i got the new indicators i had to add some wire as the left side didnt reach over! im thinking can this cause an overload of some sort, joining two wires?? so looks like i will have to buy a meter of wire and re do the left indicator if so. ive seen 23 amp 12v or 21amp 12v wire on ebay would this be the sort to look for? also what are those metal ends called that push into the female part of the wiring harness conection?

thanks for any adivce!

Hey bud, I think you must be confusing amps with Watts.

Higher wattage bulbs won't cause them to fail - if they're too high a wattage the worst that will happen will be a blown fuse or a fried relay. I'd say check the wiring section by section and you'll probably be able to track down the fault which may well be one of your cables earthing out or if you've done some DIY on it then you may have plumbed something else in to it.

For this you'll want a meter that can read voltage, ampage and resistance. Something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/domestic-multimeter-37279

The connectors will either be spades or bullets and there's any number of "how-to" things on auto electrics on that there internet.

Silly question but did you check the voltage of the bulbs? If they're 6 volt then that will make them go double quick.

Cheers and good luck!

Fro

Hey bud, I think you must be confusing amps with Watts.

Higher wattage bulbs won't cause them to fail - if they're too high a wattage the worst that will happen will be a blown fuse or a fried relay. I'd say check the wiring section by section and you'll probably be able to track down the fault which may well be one of your cables earthing out or if you've done some DIY on it then you may have plumbed something else in to it.

For this you'll want a meter that can read voltage, ampage and resistance. Something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/domestic-multimeter-37279

The connectors will either be spades or bullets and there's any number of "how-to" things on auto electrics on that there internet.

Silly question but did you check the voltage of the bulbs? If they're 6 volt then that will make them go double quick.

Cheers and good luck!

Fro

hi thanks for the reply!

yes i wrote the amps/wattage down wrong! monday mornings!! i have a multimeter so will check that out tonight, the bulbs are 12v 23w. i reckon its the wiring!! ill go back over it tonight, so as long as its all conected right joining two wires to extend it should be fine??

Hi, from an electrical point of view if they work and are not blowing fuses l don't think you have an electrical problem a few extra watts will not make that much a difference. You might want to try and fit some quality bulbs. Motorcycles have a tendency to produce a lot of vibration and a indicator stems can amplify the vibration resulting in shaking the element till it breaks. I would fit new quality bulbs and make sure they work, then start the bike up and rev it through the range and see if the indicator stems are vibrating if so you might need to tighten or even slightly relax the mountings to over come the problem, Hope this helps

i will check for vibration again but i did check, the bulbs are actually blowing not breaking as the glass clouds up. im going to go over the wiring again on the rear i think it may be that but i might put some rubber gromits or washers on the stems to and see if that helps!