Tyre inspection and advice

Robik

Hi all,

I just did a tyre inspection on my tyres and noticed an ingress of what looks like a stone into my rear tyre (see photo uploaded https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/472 ... C03829.JPG). I pumped up the tyres about 5 days ago and checked it again today and it seems to drop about 5 PSI, I guess this is what is probably causing the air leakage. What is your advice please? Stop riding the ride and get the tyre changed? Could it be repaired or would it need replacing?

Edit: Also how much should I expect to pay for a tyre (roughly) and fitting, this is my first time dealing with bike tyres so just wanted to check on the typically costs?

Thanks all

If you don't plan to tide the bike then pull the stone out put some water on the, area and see if it bubbles if not then that's not the problem.

I would ride to a tyre dealer and get them to check it, it maybe a leaky valve.

As for fixing they will advise you on that but certain areas can be where that is I would say yes, but they will know more.

Cost depends on size and the quality of tyre you choose, once again pick something your happy with, at a guess a rear will be 100+ but if you want a different make maybe wise to replace both, some won't mix tyres I don't.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I will try with the soapy water before pulling the stone out?

If you don't plan to tide the bike then pull the stone out put some water on the, area and see if it bubbles if not then that's not the problem.

Sorry Techno, do you mean "ride"? I didn't know if this was some form of advance biker speak :D Also, what do you mean by this? You mean if I plan to ride the bike, then leave it in there?

Thanks again all

I hope I am wrong, but that looks like the head of a flat nail to me.

As techno said, tyres can be repaired, but I think it depends a bit how you ride, a blow out at ton plus speeds would be fairly catastrophic, if you only ever bimble about at 50 it might be a bit less scary (a BIT less!)

As techno said, tyres can be repaired, but I think it depends a bit how you ride, a blow out at ton plus speeds would be fairly catastrophic,

...especially on a 125? :lol:

Personally, I'd dig the stone out and then check the hole for a leak.

As techno said, tyres can be repaired, but I think it depends a bit how you ride, a blow out at ton plus speeds would be fairly catastrophic,

...especially on a 125? :lol:

Personally, I'd dig the stone out and then check the hole for a leak.

HEY! it IS a cbr125!!!

:booty:

If that is the cause of the leak (stone/nail), then it is in an area that can be 'plugged' - unless the inner casing is damaged. Tyre shop will be able to advise.

If it is the valve, then again, tyre shop will easily sort. Both these fixes will not cost you much when compared to the cost of a new tyre.

:cheers:

Hi all.

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone.

I havent had a chance to get this seen to, but the bike hasn't been used since :crybaby:

how much for valve replacement ? I have to bend my valves at stupid angles to get the hose on. can't help.

Fit these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251371117922?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

Wish I knew these existed before! Are they designed to be left on all the time?

I'd prefer them in black :P think I'm just going to ask for those pressure guard for Christmas and hope they don't get nicked. save me checking the pressure all the time.

I've previously caught some kids nicking chrome dust caps off my car. heard them talking over the fence went and looked at my car and noticed two on near side had gone. stopped them got two back said wasn't very nice don't do it again. went back found the off side had gone too. walk around the estate found their bikes parked outside their homes with them on. quiet word with their parents each blaming the other kid.

Hi, these adaptors are not suppose to left on all the time, they are an aid to ease the connection to an air line and to be removed after tyre inflation. Leaving these on could put the wheel out of balance, you are also running the risk of the threaded connection working loose and more drama's. I will say though, they are very handy to keep in the tool kit l would not be without one.

Hi, these adaptors are not suppose to left on all the time, they are an aid to ease the connection to an air line and to be removed after tyre inflation. Leaving these on could put the wheel out of balance, you are also running the risk of the threaded connection working loose and more drama's. I will say though, they are very handy to keep in the tool kit l would not be without one.

So why are they sold in sets of 2 for motorbikes, and 4 (or 5) for cars? Are car drivers twice as likely to lose them?

Hi in reply to your question this is a strange one! As l see it, if you look at the size and weight of that adaptor it's quite obvious to me that its going to weigh a few grams, compare that against the weights that are used to balance your wheel clearly you can see it's going to throw your wheel out of balance. You could l suppose get your wheels re balanced after fitting these adaptors, but why run the risk of running 2 Schrader valves on 1 wheel and also treaded coupling that could also fail or work loose? I have used one of these adaptors for years but personally l would never leave it permanently fixed to the wheel. There's a link below explaining the art of balancing motorcycle wheels and show the weights involved, there a lot smaller and lighter than that adaptor. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Produ ... ur-wheels/.

">