Gary's Tupperware Tourer

newbikergm

It had been one of my ambitions for decades to learn to ride a bike and i finally got the chance with a DAS course in Sept 2013. :P

I wanted to understand all the oily bits, so decided that getting something that needed total rebuild would be a good idea. :?

Deciding on a tourer i fell for the unusual Honda Pacific Coast 800 :shock:

Through this forum I found a brilliant mechanic who agreed to help me get the bike rebuilt for when I finished the DAS.

The bike I bought was pretty much a scrapper, though amazingly it did have an MOT - obviously from the stevie wonder bike shop.

50% of the body was missing, the other 50% damaged, Rear frame twisted, Wheels pointed in different directions, Shocks knackered, oh and it ran like a bag of spanners. But it was mine !

With loads of help from the owners club, purchase of a donor bike, and hundreds of hours labour the finished PC was waiting for me when I emerged from the test centre with a fresh MOD2 certificate in my hand. Took it for my first ride and didn't get off it for 190miles, so I knew I was hooked.

Apart from the addition of a topbox, power socket in the storage pod and the single colour paint job the bike is pretty much as it would have come from the factory in 1990, Complete with the "trunk" rather than panniers.

The PC was built to tempt car drivers to swap to 2 wheels (though it failed miserably !) so was built for comfort, balance and handling, certainly not speed - which is perfect for me.

In total the project cost about 2k, about the same as buying a decent one of these. So I didn't save much money but had a great time doing it, and love the result. I think 2k for a fully sorted tourer is pretty good too.

I think I need more experience/knowledge before deciding on future upgrades to the bike and I'm hoping to start gaining that with a high mileage summer 2014.

Here's a couple of pics of the PC800.

[album]839[/album][album]837[/album][album]836[/album]

• 2 months later...