Planning a tour

bashfulpanda

Hello!

I'm going to start planning a week long European Tour for me and some buddies this summer. I've never planned this type of thing before! I've done many many miles on more adhock tours. And I've also done a fair amount of riding on the continent.

I wondered if anybody had experience of planning these sorts of things, and could offer advice? Such as miles per day, back up plans, accommodation?

Cheers for your time

Tom

Cheers for moving this to the correct place.

All sound pointers! I don't think we will be camping (some of the chaps are slightly... to old.... for camping :roll: ). We have free accommodation is Switzerland, but I've been there a fair amount. Some of the countries further East might be interesting, but as for how good/safe they are I don't know!

This is a list I did some years ago when I took Tours to Europe. Most points are still valid.

Clueless Touring Tips

1. Make sure your Passports are valid for the period we will be travelling !!!

2. Make sure you have a European Health Insurance Card which replaces the E111. Get one here;

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare ... -ehic.aspx

It is also worth reading about your entitlements in each country and what you have to do. The EHIC will provide basic emergency treatment but will not get you repatriated and Travel Insurance is advised.

3. You will need to be in possession of your Driving Licence, Insurance and Registration Document .

4. Arrange Travel Insurance to cover cancellations, possessions and medical bills. Make sure motorcycling is an approved activity.

5. Check your Bike Insurance covers you for riding in all countries we will be travelling through. Do you need to notify them of the dates you are travelling abroad? Do you need a Green Card?

6. Arrange European Breakdown Cover.

7. Make sure you have the correct emergency equipment as required by law in the countries we are travelling in. A reflective vest in the event of motorway breakdown for each person, a First Aid kit and a spare bulb kit are all that is usually needed.

8. Arrange for your motorcycle to be suitably serviced prior to setting off and allow for 3000 miles to be covered during the Tour. Consider Tyres, Chain & Sprocket life etc...

9. Prepare a small tool kit of basic tools and include cable ties, Gaffer Tape, insulation Tape, fuses etc... just for an emergency. Do you have sufficient Scott Oil if applicable. Carry a small bottle of suitable engine oil.

10. Consider filling your tyres with Ultraseal – It can save no end of grief.

11. Save your old T-Shirts, socks and undies, clean of course, to wear during the day while riding and then throw them away. Creates space for the presents to bring home. Seamless underwear is more comfortable when in the saddle all day.

12. Save small plastic bottles with tight lids. These are useful to decant shampoo, shower gel etc in to save room and weight.

13. Places like Superdrug and Boots often have small travel packs of washing powder etc on offer like BOGOF.

14. We will experience extremes of temperatures on the Tour. Pack accordingly. Many thin layers are more effective than bulky items. If you have separate waterproofs, pack them so that they are easy to get at. A spare pair of Gloves is useful in case of getting wet through.

15. Save up all those little packets of silicon that you find in all sorts of purchases. They are very handy to place in boots and gloves overnight to assist with drying them out.

16. Are your panniers ect waterproof. Pack items in bin liners.

17. Roll items up when packing to avoid creasing. Share groups of items between panniers / bags in case of an accident so that not all of one thing is ruined.

18. Pack for the travelling days so that you only have to access one pannier, box or bag.

19. Photocopy all documents including drivers licence, insurance, breakdown insurance, travel insurance, EHIC Card, passports, Ferry tickets, booking details and pack them elsewhere than the originals or carry the copies on a USB Stick or Flash Card.

20. Carry a debit & credit card or two of one or the other just in case. Make sure you know the Pin Numbers.

21. Carry a full spare set of keys for your house, motorcycle, luggage and any locks you may be using and store them safely. (Do not lock them in a pannier or top box).

22. Carry a spare visor.

23. Dress code is as comfortable as you feel. I just don’t want to see any of the blokes wearing them.

24. Don’t forget some swimwear if you want to take advantage of the pools, sauna, Jacuzzi, sunbathe etc.

25. Carry some Euros. We will almost certainly have to pay some Tolls so make sure you can carry Euros which are easy to get at when at a Toll Booth.

26. If you are taking electrical items such as Mobile Phones, MP3 players, don’t forget the chargers for them and get an adapter for European Plug Sockets.

27. If you are on medication of any description, ensure you have a sufficient supply for the duration of the Tour. If necessary gets a covering letter from your GP stating that the medication is prescribed to you.

28. Suggested Non Prescription Medication – Sea Sickness tablets, Paracetamol or Aspirin & Ibuprofen & Diarrhoea Treatment. Hand Wipes, Sun cream and after sun, Chap Stick or Lip seal, Hand cream, Plasters, Insect repellent, Antihistamine or Insect Bite relief treatment, tissues, and any other personal toiletries you may need.

29. If you wear glasses for riding, some countries require you to carry a spare pair.

Have a look here http://www.pensionhausmaria.com/location.asp. Scroll down to just below the Google Map where you will see an interactive Widget supplied by The Foreign Office and which gives travel and motoring advice. Just keep clicking on the Icons in the areas you are travelling in.

The list contains tips. Some of the stuff is a legal obligation, others suggestions. Take from it what you will. Usually when I post it up someone if quick to jump down my throat saying most of it is unnecessary.

We now live in Austria and most countries further east are safe and easy to travel through.

That's some list! I managed to travel with only a 35 litre backpack. I got chatting to some guy on the plane over who only took a bar of soap and a toothbrush!

If you've got time to sort it, I'd recommend getting a Halifax Clarity credit card - great currency rates and no charges to use it abroad, even for taking out cash. Works out much cheaper (if you pay it off quicksharp) and is way more convenient than constantly trying to change money over at banks and whatnot.

It may be long but it isn't telling you to take the kitchen sink, just mostly important essentials if relevant to you and some space saving tips. :) Remember, many countries in Europe on allow the sale of even simple remedies and the likes of Paracetamol from a pucker chemists. Not everywhere has one and if you are desperate and it is out of hours it can be a problem. Need a new tyre (many places won't do repairs, then you may be surprised to find how far apart places equipped to deal with bikes are and how little stock they carry. Weekends can be a nightmare as most places close Saturday Lunchtime and don't re open until Monday provided it's not one of the many holidays they appear to have. Recovery companies tend to do just that with bikes, recover them to a place of repair.

On the subject of Public Holidays, they can be frequent, on any day of the week and most businesses not involved in Tourism will be closed. Forewarned is forearmed.

I like to take decent hiking/climbing summer shirts etc as they fold small, don't crease, keep you warm and cool as required, rinse out easily and dry quickly.

• 6 months later...

I did a video on a tour we took through Europe>Turkey for under £900.

It covers most things in basic format in a story/documentary style....

Main advice...keep your passport & £ safe!...and video it so we can all enjoy the highs & lows!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOjZwh7kS3M

• 4 weeks later...