2012 CPI SM50. Only bumpstarts, kickstart doesnt work.

DillHD

So, I'm about to buy my first bike and come across the CPI SM50, it is 2012 model and done 6,000 miles but it only bumpstarts and does not kickstart the bike has a electricstart but cannot be tested because the battery is dead, I also got told the bike has been standing most of its life. What could the possibilities be? Easy or hard fix? I know the absolute basics about bike engines but nothing really technical.

Any help appreciated thanks!

Welcome to TMBF mate.....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang when you can....... 8-)

It may be that the battery is too flat to start it on the kickstart......but, if it's been stood for a while the battery may be a dud by now......so a new battery may sort it......but it's always difficult to say without actually seeing the bike...... :wink:

Welcome to TMBF mate.....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang when you can....... 8-)

It may be that the battery is too flat to start it on the kickstart......but, if it's been stood for a while the battery may be a dud by now......so a new battery may sort it......but it's always difficult to say without actually seeing the bike...... :wink:

Wow thanks for such an amazing welcome and reply :cheers:! So do you think the battery could be the problem? Or atleast the chances are high of it being the battery? To me I cant think its a major problem because the bike is barely 2 years old (weather this is the case or not I have no idea).

Thanks again!

If the bike will start with a bump start then the chances are that the battery is too flat to be able to start it any other way.......and if the bike will start and run after bumping it sounds like there's probably not too much else wrong with the engine......but, again, it's very difficult to diagnose without actually standing in front of the bike...... :wink:

How can it be a 2012 have 6000miles and be stood most of its life? Think you have been had mate. My bad we have moved into another year.

Stick a slave battry on via jump cables and see if it fires up.

Edited by cockercas

How can it be a 2012 have 6000miles and be stood most of its life? Think you have been had mate.

Stick a slave battry on via jump cables and see if it fires up.

Not been had over yet! I have not bought the bike yet, I just wanted to see if it could be anything major. I will ask if he has tried a new battery or jumping it.

So do you think the battery could be the problem? Or atleast the chances are high of it being the battery?

Thanks again!

Welcome.

Yes, battery.

Thanks! Do you think I should buy it? Because the current owner is selling it cheap because it doesn't start via kick.

Impossible to diagnose properly on here without a load of info and you trying stuff.

Answer to your question? Yes, it COULD be something major. Walk away unless it's going for peanuts or you really fancy getting your hands dirty. It could be a really easy fix, but it's a gamble at the end of the day.

When you say it won't kick over.....do you mean that it won't start on the kick starter or do you mean that the kick starter doesn't turn the engine over?...... :?

TBH it's Chinese and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole......but I'm getting fussy in my old age..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

When you say it won't kick over.....do you mean that it won't start on the kick starter or do you mean that the kick starter doesn't turn the engine over?...... :?

TBH it's Chinese and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole......but I'm getting fussy in my old age..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Tbh its only until I can get a 125. And I couldnt tell you, I'v just been told what I'v said here, it only starts when its bumped, electric start cant be tested because the battery is dead, it doesnt need a MOT for another 18 month (still on factory MOT), its had a new fuel tap, chain and sprocket & radiator. He also told me its had some work done not because it needed it but because they were less wore parts. The bike is quite far away (45-1hour away) so if I go I do plan on getting it, unless something disastrous happened to the bike I did not know about.

I didn't mean to p*ss on your parade mate......just warning you to be a bit carefull with it really.......but, if it's cheap enough, it may be a good starting place until you can get yourself onto a 125...... :) Really give it a close looking over......a bike that's less than 2 years old that's had a new radiator and several other bits kinda rings alarm bells for me...... :wink:

How much is it advertised for?
I didn't mean to p*ss on your parade mate......just warning you to be a bit carefull with it really.......but, if it's cheap enough, it may be a good starting place until you can get yourself onto a 125...... :) Really give it a close looking over......a bike that's less than 2 years old that's had a new radiator and several other bits kinda rings alarm bells for me...... :wink:

Well it was advertised for £600 but the guy took it as part-ex and is willing to take £500 for it(after couple days of haggle).

So do you think the battery could be the problem? Or atleast the chances are high of it being the battery?

Thanks again!

Welcome.

Yes, battery.

Thanks! Do you think I should buy it? Because the current owner is selling it cheap because it doesn't start via kick.

If the price is right then yes, it's worth serious consideration