RE: The bike that only bumpstarted and not kickstarted

DillHD

So the bike had been running for a while (half hour), and I cut it out and then it started of the button but died, same with kickstart(started after 2 or 3 kicks).

Any suggestions could it be the carburettor, or the battery or anything else?

Thanks, Dylan.

EDIT extra info: 2012 CPI SM 50, 5,500 miles, been stood for quite some time. The bike had been stood for sometime the bike doesn't start via kick or electric start, so you have to bump start it. I bump started it and let it idle for roughly 30 mins and then i cut it out and I pressed the electric start and it started but died pretty quick it also same thing happens with the kick it starts then dies. That was 2 days ago I tried it again this morning but I have to bump start it again as the electric/kick start isnt working again. Ask for more info!

Edited by DillHD

We'd probably need a bit more info mate.....like what make and model of bike....and what actually happened. I'd start with checking the battery voltage....just in case it's dropped too low to run the ignition circuit..... :wink:

We'd probably need a bit more info mate.....like what make and model of bike....and what actually happened. I'd start with checking the battery voltage....just in case it's dropped too low to run the ignition circuit..... :wink:

Read the "EDIT" ;)

I assume that you've got fuel in it?.......also try starting it with the filler cap open in case the tank breather is blocked and it's creating a vacuum in there..... 8-)

I forgot to write in. The first time I started the bike I bumped it then let it idle etc... The bike would then start but die (when I start using kick or electric start), 2 days later neither work but It will still bump no problem what so ever. (And yes I have fuel in the bike considering its bumping then running normally)

Basicly I can get the bike to run normal only if I bump it. And if I want to start the bike via kick or electric start I have the let the bike idle for ~20-30mins but even when I electrict start it, it dies. Could it need a carb cleaning? Or is the bike just not got enough battery power to start via electric start or kick (I heard some engines need batterys for kicks)

This is my first bike and I know a little bit more of the "basics" about engines but I lack everything where it comes to diagnostics/diagnosing the problem.

My thoughts as to what It could be, dead battery, clogged carb. Other than those im all out of ideas.

Any help at all appreciated!

If it's been stood for a while the fuel might have gone a bit sticky but the battery doesn't seem to be a lot of cop, if you could get a jump start and see what happens then. The first thing to do is check the voltage at the battery if possible both with everything off and when hitting the starter, the only way forward the would be to see if the battery will revive by a good overnight charge if not replace it.

John

Battery.......as I suggested in my first reply...... :)
If it's been stood for a while the fuel might have gone a bit sticky but the battery doesn't seem to be a lot of cop, if you could get a jump start and see what happens then. The first thing to do is check the voltage at the battery if possible both with everything off and when hitting the starter, the only way forward the would be to see if the battery will revive by a good overnight charge if not replace it. John

I found the problem. I replaced the wiring loom and now the bike starts on the electric starter almost instantly, runs and rides perfectly. I have no idea what on the wiring loom was causing the bike not to turn over but its sorted now so i'm happy :) Now another problem I have is the Digi Dash isn't working (it was but before i replaced the wiring) it doesn't show its in neutral nor the speed/revs but all lights work when the stage is switched on although I have a wire that isn't connected to anything which when i follow the wire it goes to a button that changes the info on the dash (miles, time etc..) but its late now so I will try and sort it tomorrow, but im more happy that it wasn't anything major at all.