Be your own Mechanic?

Guest raabey

Hi,

I know how an engine (both 2-stroke and 4-stroke) works, and have a basic knowledge of all the other "parts" ;)

My question is: how do you guys, who maintain their own bike, know how to do it?

What I mean is, after I dropped/came off my bike, there have been a few weird sounds and what-not, but I have no idea how to diagnose my bike! I want to be my own bike mechanic because it interests me a hell of alot! :) Any suggestions on how to "gather the knowledge"! I'm thinking it's almost as fun to maintain my bike (or improve it) as riding it is! :lol:

Haynes manuals? Bike mechanic for dummies? Internet research?

Much appreciated! Thanks

With the internet, its a lot easier than it used to be to do your own repairs. You can typically search for the job youre about to do and find loads of info from other people who have done exactly the same job before.

My advice would be to get the Haynes manual, read it cover to cover a couple of times, buy some good quality tools and get stuck in!!

If you hit problems, Google it or ask on this forum.

Good luck!!

You diagnose it with a little lateral thinking, if you know how your engine works and its ancillary componants you will be able to narrow down the fault and locate it. The net is a help too but can also give mixed advice

Yep, Haynes manual is what I buy with every bike and remove some parts , to clean em if you like. Remove engine covers, but be careful not to damage gaskets. It ain't rocket science. Which part of London are you in? Have a ride down to my place? I have a few bikes and engines in pieces. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If this is your first dabble with mechanics and you seriously want to learn. I'd get a scrapper and manual. I wouldn't practice on your pride and joy - just in case you make a big mistake which then costs loads to have put right.

I suppose it depends how confident you are.

Good luck.

:cheers:

Megawatt, I live in NW2!

And Haynes sounds like a good idea!

I have no intention of buying a rubbish bike, because I can't afford it and don't want to afford it! But I suppose it's a risk if I did something wrong :S I'll have to make sure I don't do anything wrong then!

Thanks guys

Haynes manual, lots of knowledgeable friends on the other end of the phone...also a spare bike to get things wrong first time on helps.....but to be honest, if its your only bike and it breaks when you don't have the funds for a mechanic, its amazing how fast you learn this shit.

oh , and top tip...don't try to be a cheapskate when it comes to tools....never worth it...buy a half decent starter set ( like Halfords pro)...then just buy the best you can afford of any one individual tool that you need for each specific job as it comes up.

if I can learn ( and im a stoopid girl who doesn't even know where the screen wash goes in the car) then anyone can.

I went from scared to even undo a fairing bolt ...to these , inside of a year

1779896_10202453387208844_1400863283_n.jpg.cc651b7c46c9d27fcaae7ec8c0dd7602.jpg

1457566_10201976422965036_778051623_n.jpg.8bb00b09ab1c163b46248ca2a1bc1260.jpg

Haynes manual, lots of knowledgeable friends on the other end of the phone...also a spare bike to get things wrong first time on helps.....but to be honest, if its your only bike and it breaks when you don't have the funds for a mechanic, its amazing how fast you learn this shit.

oh , and top tip...don't try to be a cheapskate when it comes to tools....never worth it...buy a half decent starter set ( like Halfords pro)...then just buy the best you can afford of any one individual tool that you need for each specific job as it comes up.

if I can learn ( and im a stoopid girl who doesn't even know where the screen wash goes in the car) then anyone can.

and only had 3 bolts and 5 washers left over from each bike :up:

and only had 3 bolts and 5 washers left over from each bike :up:

nooo steve...I actually now have an entire tub full :P

If it's the RS125 you're on about, upload a sound clip of the bike running and describe the noise you hear, if there is anything I should be able to tell as I've had 3 RS's, 1 50 and 2 125, and theres only actually a couple of noises to worry about with them :cheers:

As for being a mechanic, I was always quite handy with tools, as a little nipper I could make functioning mechanisms and at first was just your average tree house building kid. I helped my Grandad when he built his steam engines and spent a lot of time in his workshop. When I turned 16 and had my own bike I started reading and learning with those and found most techniques I'd learned were transferable.

I actually had a little to do with mini-motos etc when I was really small but a 9 year old can only conceive it like lego. I could remember which order bits went together but no clue what they did.

My Dad taught me a lot but did so in a way I had to go out and pick up a book myself to expand my know how.

I read practical sports bikes and bike mechanics magazines monthly, trawl various forums without ever posting, and then apply what I read to my bike if it's relevant. It's a process of theory then applying it, you can't get your head around one without the other :thumb:

I'm a qualified car mechanic but want to move into the motorbike aspect of repairs, so I went out and bought a cheap little bike and using that as a practice bike, won't be looking at a proper bike until i can afford a ninja 250.