Oil inspection window white!

Phooey

As the title says. I went to check the oil level and couldn't see the level because the window is white. Unscrewed the filler cap and felt the oil inside and it feels normal ... not foamy like it's mixed with water (my first fear).

Any idea's on how I can resolve this so that I can accurately check the level?

How much have you used the bike recently? Sounds like a bit of emulsification in the oil.....which is probably due to condensation in the engine if it's not been run too much recently......a good couple of runs should sort that out if it's the case...... 8-)

Hi guys ... I had a nice 80 mile run last Sunday and I use it everyday for about 5-10 miles instead of the car. So it does get used quite a bit.

5-10 miles daily is not really enough to clear it......I'd be inclined to take it for another run or 2 at the weekend and see how it is after that. If that doesn't clear it then I'd start to worry a bit about a head gasket leak.

Used it last night to visit friends ... sorted. I can now see the oil level. It is closer to the min line than the max so now the stupid question.

My manual says to use SAE 10W/40. Do I need special motorbike oil or can I use the SAE 10W/40 that I have in the garage?

how much closer?

if its around 1/3rd up I wouldn't bother theres enough in it in fact just above min is enough but that doesnt mean I would leave it like that :lol:

some people will argue till they are blue in the face that you NEED bike oil but in reality you don't its a marketing hype!

although avoid oils with friction modifiers in them like castrol magnatec

I use castrol GTX car oil in mine 10w/40 £12 for 4 litres from asda

depends what oil you have in the shed really and what you have in the bike fully synthetic and mineral wont mix

when was the oil last changed? if your going to top it up for the price you may aswell do a full change

I've no idea what's in her at the moment. It is virtually on the min line.

The oil I have in the shed is Tesco's Petrol and Diesel part synthetic 10W/40 oil. On the back it says, meets or exceeds the requirements of the following specifications: SAE 10W/40: API SL/CF ACEA A3, B3

The guys said he just did an oil change when I bought it. I've done about 300 miles since. My mate was going to help me give her a full service but I was hoping to wait a few weeks and money is slightly more flowing. About 4-6 weeks.

Using oils designed for cars have friction inhibitors in them and can make your clutch slip.

Unless you have a bike with a dry clutch, I'd use a motorcycle oil that has the letters "JASO" on the bottle somewhere.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articl ... ASO_MB.php

Based on that link ... the oil I have is ok then? It says ACEA A3, B3.

hmmmm

this is my personal opinion

I would not use that oil as I like to use a known brand and quality not just any old oil

plus I would do a full oil and filter change and take what the previous owner has said with a pinch of salt!

people tend to tell porkies about servicing and oil changes if its cant be backed up etc

I would always do an oil filter plugs and air filter straight away that way you know when it was last done

but yeah if its on the min then get some oil in it at least