The oldest bike restoration thread on here?

Guest Gautrek

Tonight I have mostly been trying to stop the rear mudguard cutting a new tread groove in my new tyre. I am also still trying to sort the clutch. Its looking like I may have to get the clutch plates re corked ( as i forgot to do this ).

I saw some of these at the national motorbike museum. Great to hear one running. Looks spanking too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thats another job sorted. I have ordered some cork sheet to redo my clutch. But today I found another clutch plate which had good cork on it. So i popped the cork out of this and then used it in my bikes plate. The result is I finally have a working clutch. This will do until I have a look next winter as I still have one plate which needs recorking. But as long as it lasts this summer out I will be happy. I intend to meet my section at the start of a run tomorrow as its about 8 mile away from me in the countryside so i wanted to get the clutch fixed if I could. As it was getting hard to start the bike due to the clutch slip

Where's your run tomorrow?

How do you do the re corking the clutch plates?

I've done the vintage cars but interested to see bikes

The run was from Wistow to Armourgedden out on the old A50. They normally do 40 mile around all the narrow lanes to get there. I'll let you know how the recorking goes. But you just cut triangular shaped bits out and press them into the space in the plate. I'll stick a photo up when I start.

I had one of those oh s*** moments today. Due to years of riding old Brit bikes and then moving on to Jap bikes I can cope with left foot braking. I can usually ( apart from the odd moment) get my brain sorted to use the correct foot for braking and gear changing. But this bike throws me. I have tried to change gear with my foot a couple of times . But also due to the front brake being just a brake in name as it has little effect on the bike I have to be aware of what other road users are doing. But today a car driver pulled away from some traffic lights and then decided they coudn't overtake the cyclist so she stopped. I applied the so called front brake and then thought s*** I can't stop so I then applied the footbrake on the LH side as per any brit bike. But due to this bike having hand change then the brake lever is on the RH side. So I ended up pressing nothing down while while trying to stop. Luckily for me she then decided to move anyway. But today i ahve done about 20 miles tonight. So I am getting more confident with the bike.

:roll: didn't see the date, That sounded like a good run around. How thick is your cork?

Glad you stayed safe with it though

I am going for 7mm and then sanding it down to what ever thickness i think its needs.

How thick is your cork?

I am way to tired as I read that wrong...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

:lol:

Will that be enough?

Used to have get 3/4" "CORKS" and go to 3/8" mainly as it they were easy to get hold of

It should be as the plate steel plate is only about 3 mm. If they are too thick you can't get everything in the clutch when trying to assemble it

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

I found out today that I have been riding round for days with a loose front wheel. The only thing holding it in place was the small recess the washers sit it in. It wasn't loose due to coming undone it was loose because I hadn't tightened it up in the first place. But the bike seems a lot better now and the front brake is sort of working due to it bedding in . I have found out that a bike with high level exhaust pipes is not good while you are sat in rush hour traffic as the heat just cooks you . Plus hand change bikes are not brilliant in rush hour traffic either but it makes for a fun ride. I have managed to get out every day on the bike and its getting better every ride as the parts start getting to know each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now done a 40 mile round trip on the bike to show the guy who I brought the engine off . It is happy sitting at 45/50 ish. But i do think I may be able to raise the gearing by going up 1 tooth on the gearbox sprocket. As I seem to get into 3rd at about 25 MPH. Given that 3rd is top then it leaves me nowhere to go. 1 tooth on the gearbox is supposed to be about 6 teeth on the rear. It would be nice to be able to sit a 55/60 on it. As i feel a bit vunerable at low speed on 60 MPH roads.

I have a rather large oil leak from the magneto area and have just got some silicon gasket paste to try to seal this area. I will slide the mag back and then seal it with this. I don't like using this stuff but in this case its the only stuff I can see working as Its a rather large gap to fill. I have recorked 1 clutch plate and the clutch is now finally working properly. I have had to shorten the front brake and clutch cable as everything has bedded in and I ran out of adjustment.

But the bike is running great and suprisingly is very comfy on our roads as the sprung seat means you float over most bumps. Even the girder forks work well on our bad roads. You just need to watch out for the large holes and be aware of them. I am still struggling witrh the gear change and still miss 2nd gear. But i assume I will get better at this. I also have a leak from the gearbox out of a cap covering the layshaft bush. So that will need sorting next winter. I will make a new cap up and seal it better

The bike should have a dynamo with points in the end fitted. This has a flat face where it butts up so can be sealed. But the mag isn't flat. So decent silicone sealer works. Well it does in my trial bike as I had the same issue on that. It's only splashes of oil in the timing case anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have clocked up about 200 miles now. The bike is sounding very nice now the engine has bedded in a bit. I have lots of compression and I now can't kick the engine over compression without using the valve lifter. Part of my petrol tap has fallen off due to how crapply it was made. So I need to use a coin to push the tap on. But i will live with it for now as I don't want to disturb the tap or tank at the moment. I have made a new push part.

I have managed to sort the rear brake as that was binding when you pressed on the lever and it wouldn't return so you had to tuck your toe under it and then lift the lever back up. But I noticed the long brake rod had bent slightly and was rubbing under the gearbox. So I have bent it a bit more and it now clears everything and even returns when you use the brake.

I have also had to shorten the front brake and clutch cable as I had run out of adjustment on both due to things bedding in. I have also had to cut 50mm off the end of each end of the handlebar as the bike is now living in the passageway between the house and the garage and the bars were too wide to go through the door.

But I love riding this bike about and it makes me smile while riding it. I am happy to be bimbleing about at 40 to 50 mph . I have also not burnt my leg once yet on the exhaust. But due to sitting so low you end up with your legs spread apart at a stop so the exhaust is nowhere near your legs. Also the tank and knee grips tend to keep your legs away from the pipes when riding it as well.

• 1 month later...
Hows it going with the panther mate? All good fun i hope

Great fun mate. I get out and about on it at every opportunity. I did a 100 mile run on it the other weekend. 20 mile to Harboro, then a 50 odd mile run to a pub in Thornby and then 20 odd miles back home. I did have a puncture the day before so I ended up tightening the rear chain up while putting the rearwheel back in. I have also added some more grease to the gearbox and its now not dropping out of second. So its a much nice bike to ride now.

It always draws a crowd when its parked up and usually has lots of photos taken of it. So I am well chuffed with how its turned out. I have a few small niggles to sort out like a couple of minor oil leaks one from a return pipe ( I have just been sent some fibre washers to try). It did actually refuse to start when I stopped for a pee on the way back from Thornby. But all it was was the points gap closing up as everything settles in. But a quick reset to .012" by eye and its starting first kick again. I have just had a bimble about again tonight and its going really well now. I am pushing crusing at 55 ISH ( no speedo). So I think 1 more tooth on the gearbox sprocket will sort it. I can nearly hold 3rd gear up the hill at the back of saddington reservoir. It just needs 2nd at the steep climb near the top.

Were you out tonight with the club? I wanted to go but i had to sort work out and boss was late...

Yes mate i was. Very nice fish and chips at the end washed down with a beer. What more could you want. Had a chat with my mate and looked at the Brough (ish) bike he is building. Just admiring the new frame thats been built.

Ah would have been good to get along. One day!

Broughish sounds interesting, he built it himself or had it built?

Glad its running well, hows your clutch bearing up?

He has an old Coventry eagle jap sidevalve engine and is building a Brough like bike round it. He has had a new frame built and has acquired a lot of bits to build it

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found out tonight that this bike will cruise at 50/55 an sounds brilliant when you are following it. My mate followed me and clocked me on his speedo

Well I found out tonight that this bike will cruise at 50/55 an sounds brilliant when you are following it. My mate followed me and clocked me on his speedo

Did you get somebody to ride it or on video?