Front wheel not rotating

Robik

Hi all,

I haven't been on my bike for about 2 weeks now, when I hopped on it today I could not move the front wheel, it just doesn't want to rotate. I did notice that the last few times I got on the bike the front wheel was slightly stiff when first moving off, but then after about 100m of riding seemed to roll like normal. Could this be a siezed front caliper?

Any advice on the following:

(a) Quick fixes so I can get riding again next week then...

(b) Longer term repairs to avoid this problem happening again in the near future

Thanks everyone.

Yup, sounds like a caliper issues. Whip caliper off, pads out and give the pistons a bit of a clean up (or take it to a dealer to do the same if needs be).

(a) Quick fixes so I can get riding again next week then...

Take it off the stand and give it a hard shove forwards. Once the pads are free from the disc you should find the wheel works as intended.

In future, just accept that leaving the bike standing for 2 weeks is likely to mean the pads stick

Our works van doesn't move for the 6 months we're closed, so we have to drive it forwards and backwards for a good few minutes at the start of the season to free off the brakes! :wink: I imagine (some) fair weather riders have similar issues in the spring/summer.

After some pushing and pulling. Managed to free the pads from the disc. I have some Holt Brake Cleaner spray. Can I spray this on the discs and calipers? I assume this is safe to spray on the brake pads? Thanks.

After some pushing and pulling. Managed to free the pads from the disc. I have some Holt Brake Cleaner spray. Can I spray this on the discs and calipers? I assume this is safe to spray on the brake pads? Thanks.

Never used brake cleaner. Just ride it, they'll soon turn all shiny again :lol: