1990 GPZ500S keeps cutting out.

NearOn

Hi, just after some advice on my bike. I've had it since Feb. When I bought it, it ran fine. Then I moved and haven't had time to use it. Is stored in my garage and been starting it up once a month for last 3 months. Would roughly let it run for about 5 minutes, then quick spin round the close and back in garage. I know, not ideal but when got a 6 month old baby and work full time, not had much time left over!

Anyhow I decided to take it to work last week. Got about a mile from home and it just cut out. Almost like it ran out of fuel. I put it on reserve, manage to get it going again and went on my merry way. About another mile down the road it did the same. It seems to stutter and then just cut out. I pushed it to the petrol station and filled it up. It started up, decided to take it home, but again half way home it cut out again, and would not start again. I had to then push it home, fun fun fun.

In my very basic knowledge of bike mechanics, I am thinking dirty fuel clogging it up? In the carbs maybe?

God knows when will get time to fix it, and if I am even capable of doing it. So if there is anyone in Norfolk and wants to have a look in exchange for beer, shout now!

Cheers

Oli

i would be checking breather for tank as well run it round the block untill it cuts out then open fuel cap quickly see if you hear it hiss or gasp of air rush into tank if so then breather is blocked and that will either be in the cap itself or a tube running out from filler neck where lock locates somewhere

• 4 months later...

Big thanks to Adam from the forum who came over today to help, aren't bikers great!, we found quite a bit of brown gunky stuff when we emptied the tank, so hoping was that causing it, everything else attached to the tank was fine. Will report how it goes when put a bit of new fuel in.