Honda VFR 400 NC30

Hello everyone. I'm currently trying to restore a VFR400. The issue I have is that all the fairing kits are apocalyptically expensive. Also getting a cheap one from abroad has a rather large import cost. Any info would be rather helpful. :cheers:

if you have got the old panels the easist way round it is to repair and paint them yourself of if you want them done back to original contact dream machine not cheap but very good work and comes back in original colours and all original decals as well

It was a heap when I got it. Sorted out all the mechanical issues by myself. The only thing I can't do is body work. I neither have the means nor knowledge to do it.

i know they are a lot of money but they are the best in the world at what they do all t he big bike dealers use them to get panels and tanks painted on bikes they are selling.only other thing you can do is try some local car body repair centres and see what they say it will also be a lot cheaper if all one colour and not different colours

go and buy a fibre glass repair kit, you simply layer the mesh, paste the hardner over and rub down to smooth finish, really not that difficult, have patients and spend time on it and you'll be fine, for the fairing clips, mark the right position glue on with araldite and fibre glass over them. Give it a shot, you'll be proud at the end.

go for it, if your painting it, gets it well rubbed down, two coats of good primer, two coats of what ever colour you choose and lacquer, if your going two colours, use the frog tape to stop one colour bleeding into the other and you'll be a happy man. :cheers:

obviously paper over anywhere you don't want overspray on.

I'm half tempted to go full gloss black on it with an iridium double bubble. Good look or not? Failing that, I recon dark orange could look rather fetching.

That's a point, What can I do about the wheels? Or do I have no choice but to take them to be powder coated?

Cheaper, but, not cheap enough. I think the DIY option seems to be a good plan now that I have thought about it. Plus even if I do muff it up, there is always the option of buying new if I have to. However, I shan't be buying from China unless it's DIRT cheap

There are some good vids on YouTube that show how to repair fairings.

Before you plaster it in fibreglass, its worth watching some to see how the "weld" the bits together with a hot knife/soldering iron.

• 1 month later...

We reinforced the back of the splits in the fairing of my lad's NC30 with fibreglass to prevent further cracking, also beefed up around the fixing holes and lugs. Then grafted a Cagivo Mito tail piece on :-)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/zahapa4e.jpg

That's a pretty dang nice combination there :D One of these days, mine might look as good as that. The body work has gone off for spraying now after I repaired all the cracks and splits. took bloody ages haha.

What can I do about the wheels? Or do I have no choice but to take them to be powder coated?

Worthy of consideration,

">

You can tint the chrome in various colours then seal the chrome coat !