Brake pads?

GazW

Stripping down the front calipers on my bike for new pads and a general clean.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/ebuqevym.jpg

The right hand pads had a thin metal shim and a backing

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/epedynyh.jpg

The left hand pads were just put in as is.

The picture is of the backing and metal on a new pad as I'd already thrown that side away. Just for the idea.

What do you reckon. Seems weird to me that someone would change one side and decide to keep the backs and throw them on the other side.

Should I try to source the backing plates or put them both in just bare pads?

The friction material was a hell of a lot more worn down on the side that wasn't packed out, that's why they are that bad on the picture, the other pads had a decent 3mm on.

Looks like an anti-squeel shim......some pads come with them and some don't. My current pads have them coz I swapped them over when I changed the pads.

When you say about the right hand and left hand pads are you talking about the R/H and L/H calipers or the pads within the calipers?

:stupid:

yup they are anti squeal shims

you can do without them if you want

as for the difference in pad wear it sounds like one side is working harder than the other so may need a bit of a clean up

The right hand caliper had them, the left didn't, seems a bit weird, surely they would have always been changed together for the same type of pads.

I'll probably just do away with them. I'm going to clean them up tomorrow, just need to get some red rubber grease and crack on again tomorrow