Mod 1 advice please

As I have completed the CBT and Theory parts of training the next step is Mod 1 but I have 2 questions for those in the know;

The first question is on the slow maneuvers are you allowed to ride the rear brake for stability or are you expected to only use it when required, I only ask as when on my CBT I was told to ride the rear brake on all slow maneuvers but I sa something on the internet that says this is not allowed on the Mod 1 test ???

The second and final question is whilst I feel competent in the slalom, figure of 8 and U-turn I am a bit wobbly on the straight line ride would this cause me to fail if I can't correct it or would it go down as a minor ??

Cheers

Stan.

Rear brake is essential for low speed control.....so you should not be penalised for using it on the MOD1.....never heard of that before... :shock:

I think that the only thing you'd have problems with on the slow riding is if you put a foot down.....as long as you're not weaving like a Saturday night drunk you should be ok.... 8-)

Well been out since 5:30 practicing in an old car park armed with a bunch of cones :) , started with the manual handling routine moving my bike from one parking bay to the next but one parking bay.

Then placed 5 of the cones approx. 3.5 mtrs apart ready for the slalom (I know I am aloud 4.5 mtrs but thought if I could do it my way test day sure have loads more room), followed by 2 cones 5 mtrs apart for the figure of 8, (once again I do realise I am aloud 6 mtrs, but same reason applies). Had a few practice goes and seem to be able to manage both tasks with or without the brake (although with it is much easier).

Then set up 2 cones to aim for on the slow ride that would take me into the U-turn, did find that having the cones there did make the slow ride easier :-), then tried the U-turn within 3 parking bays which equates to 7.5 mtrs, I can easily do it in 6 mtrs so not concerned with that.

The only thing I can't practice is the speed maneuvers :-(, I do try accelerating to 30 mph then performing the controlled stop and it seems to go well from my point of view (I don't fall off or put both feet down :-)).

Got my Mod 1 test date today so I do have a bit more practice time yet thankfully :-)

Completed mod 1 last week.

You can use back break and to be honest it's pretty hard not to, not sure how you can do slow manonver if you're not using the back break, the salmon and fig 8 isn't too bad, it didn't matter if it was a perfect fig 8 to be honest mine was horrible, but as long as you keep it upright and don't put your foot down then it's perfectly fine,

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my mod 1 today- practicing beforehand I hit the cones on the swerve a couple of times- my instructor told me to focus on driving through the gap and not look at the cones- seems really basic advice, but worked a treat.

Next Wed- going out every night on 125, so hopefully everything will be ok.

When I get in I spend the rest of the night looking at other bikes- start of cheap, then end up looking at expensive, start looking at nothing to big then end up looking at huge bikes. :x

I will wait and get the Mod 2 then decide :D