Anyone any good with electrics?

min200

My headlights are playing up. They will only work on full beam theres nothing on main beam at all.

I have checked the bulbs they are fine and run through the wiring and there is nothing amiss there that I can see so I am really at a loss as what to do!

Anyone got any ideas?

It would also appear that my old bike has been in a major accident at some point with all sorts of damage under the fairing that I wasn't aware of :( Looks like a right mess under there!

So if you could all shout any ideas at me it would be much appreciated :)

It's most likely going to be:

-bulb(s) are they linked in series or parallel? If series and one goes, they both go. No reason why they should be but you never know?

-fuse

-connections (check the switch and bulb connections, perhaps the conductors aren't completely touching)

-wiring (maybe wire has split somehow through being cut/pulled)

I don't suppose you have a multimeter or wiring diagram ?

If so, I would have thought you should be able to check the switch with continuity setting on the meter if you know what colour wires to check. Taking a switch apart sounds like you could have a spring or metal contacts come flying out.

I'm guessing full and main beam might run off of the same fuse but again, a diagram will help to confirm incase it's a different fuse that could have gone.

This might be a really really dumb question... but how did you check it wasn't the bulb? I'd run some wiring from the battery-bulb/new bulb to be 100% sure if you haven't already.

Also, have you checked the wiring connections at the battery end to make sure everything is as it should be?

And you checked the dimmer switch I assume?

I took the bulbs out and physically looked at the elements and they are fine.

Relay???? I have to find a relay as well!!! lol

Havnt had a chance to pick up a multimeter yet and it doesn't help that I am pants with electrics.

Now how much would a new bike be.....

To be sure, I'd test the bulb more thoroughly... I'd either ise a meter or wiring straight off the battery.

That's a 15mim job which could potentially save hours and if you were right with the physical inspection then you've only lost 15mins of your life!

If you wanted to ride over to me near Lincoln mate we could go through it together with my knowledge and multimeter...

Just let me know

I may take you up on that kind offer chap but im working until next weekend now apart form tomorrow which is already packed busy with family stuff!

To be sure, I'd test the bulb more thoroughly... I'd either ise a meter or wiring straight off the battery.

That's a 15mim job which could potentially save hours and if you were right with the physical inspection then you've only lost 15mins of your life!

I have checked bith of the bulbs again chap and they are fine. Still third times a charm!

• 3 weeks later...

A MASSIVE THANK YOU to acting_strange for his welcoming company, excellent knowledge and for fixing my headlights :)

I have learnt a few new things today about my bikes electrics so have more of a sporting chance of fixing it at home in the future!

Just goes to show this forum is spot on and the folks here are superb!

I shall pass on the experience gained today to the next poor clueless bugger that comes along :)

It was in a block connector. The wire had moved back a bit causing it to arc and burn the connector a touch.

We had to push the wire all the way back in and reconnect the block together and hey presto all sorted :)

I just saw this lost soul driving back and forth past my home and thought I'd better help him....lol

Common fault.....as the connector had been pushed together it had been done properly and it had forced one of the connectors out leaving a gap which caused arcing and eventual burning and failure..

Pleased to help a fellow TMBF member ...