shhhhhh I need to about my sore bottom!!!!

:oops: Ok, so I've started doing some 300+ mile Sunday rides to prep up for my grand tour to Spain in August.

My bike is a superb BMW R1200GS, I love it.

However I appear to have developed a sore 'tail bone' Something that's never happened before on other bikes? :shock: :shock:

I'm considering trying a cheap gel seat or maybe one of these 'Airhawk' comfort cushions

It's my age :roll:

Any help or suggestions please?

Whereabouts on the seat do you sit? For long term comfort like that you want a slight forward lean, if you're too upright it puts pressure in the wrong places as you're finding out. Slightly leaning forward puts it more into the back of your thighs where there's plenty of padding (there is on me anyway :lol: ) rather than straight into your bone.

Can you shuffle your bum further back in the seat so you're leaning slightly further forward to get to the bars?

Or lower the bars a bit?

A common complaint from GS owners is the uncomfortable seat. Have a look on the GS Forums for solutions from owners.

For long distance riding seamless underwear is important. Many advocate an under suit to aid comfort whether it is hot or cold.

Thanks guys, :cheers:

That Saddleman looks great, but I've run out of money for time being.

(I've just put the official hard pannier set on! :shock: )

Cycle shorts eh?

I'll investigate.

It's my tail bone which is really suffering. :booty: :crybaby:

changing clothing just masks the problem and means you need to wear certain clothing all the time.. or at least for any ride thats long enough to become painful.

if its your tailbone then your posture on the bike is wrong - the geometry between the bars - seat and pegs is pushing you into the wrong position.

I would take a ride over to see Tony Archer at Huddersfield and have a natter with him. Seems to me this 'problem' is very common and if theres anyone in your neck of the woods that knows how to cure it - its Mr Archer. All it will take is a slight remodelling of the seat 'foam' and then a recover.. shouldn't be expensive. But.. its best to have a natter with him first, so he can see who you sit on the bike and then diagnose the problem.

other than that.. an air hawk seems the most common 'fix'. but.. 'new' - these will probably cost more than having the seat remodelled.

http://www.tonyarcher.co.uk

I had the same problem when I first got the Fazer!

not my arse but the very bottom of my spine.

I moved the handlebars slightly so that I was leaning

slightly forward instead of bolt upright.

Problem solved! :lol:

I just stand on the pegs for a little bit every now and then, to let some blood circulate to my arse cheeks. Also nice if your trousers are sticking to your bum! Did the trick just fine for my ride from Cambridge to Somerset today.

I've been to see 'Tony Archer'

very nice people.

I will get back with a report soon

(hopefully trying out a new seat this weekend for a trip to Mallory park)

:thumb:

A word of caution, make sure this is just what it appears to be and not anything more serious. I don't want to alarm anyone but I thought I had a simple problem which turned out to be a pilonidal sinuse. Check it out guys, bloody painful.

yes I'm having it 'checked out' Very good point sir.

looks like an episode of embarrassing bodies now :oops:

I think I do have a minor injury of sorts, the 'new' seat is better, but I'm still in trouble after about 45-60 mins riding. :crybaby:

Hope everything checks out ok. I found that using an upright position with your back slightly arched helps, it sort of raises the base of your derrière.

Are you riding alone? If you don't have a pillion you could always use my other tactic - sit far back and rock forwards a bit to give the back part of your arse a break, then sit right forwards and rock back on your bum to givr the front part a break. Had to do 600 business miles across monday and tuesday and this approach saw me through!

I've been to 'Tony archer' in Huddersfield and had a 'gel' inserted :shock: :shock: in my seat!

trouble is I think its an injury, and as such just keeping off the bike (in all this nice weather) is probably the best way to get it to heal?

I'll give feedback on my grand tour (only 2 and bit weeks to go now)