Buying a write-off at auction: any advice?

Hi folks

I'm in the market for a little restoration project for my own entertainment and education as much as anything. Aside from the mechanical issues, are there any special considerations when buying non-running stolen/written off bikes at auction? Assuming I get it running again is it easy enough to get it taxed, MOT'd and insured if it's been classed as an insurance write-off? I'm considering a Cat D bike that frankly couldn't be made any worse no matter how incompetent I turn out to be with the spanners!

Cat C or Cat D only mate.....try to get something fairly mainstream.....getting parts and info on some of the rarer bikes will be a pain.... :wink: I'd avoid anything thats got cracked or broken engine casings....never know how long the motor ran with no oil in it..... :wink:

I was wondering about a project bike for the new year.

My current work contract runs out end of December so I'll be jobless January/February so will have plenty of time on my hands.

Anyone know any auction houses in the London area??

you have got hbc at canvey island http://www.hbc.co.uk/auction-vehicles/bikes.html about the nearest one to you i think they also have auctions up in sandy and bedford

Nice one cheers! That's just up the M25 and over the bridge for me!!

Like how its all online too so I only need to go there when I've actually bought something.

i think buying writen off bikes to bring them back on road is a great experiance and very rewarding too, my first/current bike was bought as a write off cat c, i had zero experiance workng on bikes as all my skills are on cars, it teached me a thing or two as i progressed, my bikes on road now and runs perfectly so i got my self a zx6r for peanuts

As Tango said mate..

Cat C or Cat D only.. Cat B renders the frame no longer road worthy.. Can only be used for parts.. Where as Cat A = full scrap..

I bought a little Pulse Ghost 2012 plate moped just over a year ago.. had 300km on the clock from new.. Absolute fab condition.. was classed as a Cat C write off.. Because it has a piece missing from the front mud guard.. Literally a piece of plastic snapped out, the size no bigger than a 2p coin.. and that was classed as a Cat C write off!!!

Sometimes you can get real lucky, Like i did..

Just have to take a good look over before comitting to buy :)

Buying cheap bikes, and putting them back on the road, is a awesome experience.. Alot of self respect, especially if your new to it.. It really is very rewarding.. It gives like a bit of sentimental value..

Like my bike for instance.. Its just a taiwanese 125, that i payed £700 for.. over the past year of owning it, ive had to spend over that, just to keep it on the road.. But because i stripped it down, modified it and built it from ground up.. it holds alot of sentimental value to me...

I could own all the big superbikes and rare bikes in the world.. and id never sell mine...