Another failure!

:( So today was my third attempt (not counting the one that had to be stopped within the first five minutes because I broke the clutch lever). On the silly little Barbie bike, which was at least a sensible camo green. Everything was going brilliantly till I accelerated too fast out of a right-hand junction, shot across the road, mounted the kerb and ended up in a hedge. Unfortunately the hedge was on the far side of a brick wall so I broke the bike. Well, the fairing anyway.

A passing biker who happened to have his white van with him stopped and put the scooter in the back of his van and took it back to the training centre, which was nice of him.

I am so disappointed I could cry. I am so angry with myself. I really thought I was going to succeed today. I can't have another go till they've fixed the scooter.

It was the same instructor who took me the time I broke the clutch lever, when I was still being too stubborn to master the basics on the scooter. He must think I'm an idiot. For those who haven't read my posts before, I have reluctantly decided to get my CBT (if I ever do) on a scooter just to get road legal so I can get a geared bike and get out onto the road - I found it too much to master the balance, steering and brakes as well as the clutch control all at once and I have taken the advice of several people on here to just take the gears out of the equation until I've nailed all the rest of it.

The instructor did say I was doing fine until then.

Edited by Psychybikey

And to complete the Grimsby trio don't let it get you down, I was gutted when I failed my Mod 1 and felt really down but then 7 days later I have a full Cat A licence, you will get there as I can sense your shear determination, stick with it and in the ned when you pass you will be over the moon :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about that, some people don't take to it naturally, but good on you for being determined!

I actually did my cbt on a scooter, because that's what I intended to ride at the time for commuting. A year later I pick up a geared bike and taught myself to shift after being off the road for about 8 months due to doing myself in underestimating a corner.

You can certainly do it that way if it makes it easier, it would've been a bit to take in gears as well when I first learned, maybe go for a different school?

I actually did my cbt on a scooter

Same here, I bought my 125 geared bike having never used a clutch :roll: got it delivered to my work and taught myself how to use gears in the car park for a bit before riding home. Came incredibly easy to me even though I had actually binned a CBT (on a scooter no less) years ago for being incredibly under confident.

fast forward about 5 years and I breezed through it :mrgreen: (yes I know I haven't done my real license yet and should shut up until I do!)

one thing I'm certain that helped my road confidence was that I cycled to work for roughly a year. made me develop road awareness and stop worrying as much about other road users. Also helped with taking corners etc.

Above all if you really want it you will get there someday :cheers:

Aww keep at it Scaredylady, you'll get there in the end!

I was reading a post from another lady biker today and she was saying that after she'd failed her Mod 1 a certain amount of times and confidence was really knocked, she changed school. She said there was nothing wrong with the training she was getting at the first school, but new instructors, new bike, was like a fresh start and she described it as a revelation and ended up passing her tests next time round. Might be worth considering?