Licence decisions..

I was planning on doing my A2 licence soon so I've been reading up about it and what I didn't realise is that after 2 years you have to take another test (A category licence) so that means £450 (ish) for the A2 licence and after 2 years another £300 (ish) for the A licence so a total of roughly £750. Obviously that's a lot of money especially considering you can do a DAS for the same price as an A2 licence.

Now here's the dilemma I'm 22 and will be 24 in just under 2 years and my CBT runs out in November do I go for:-

Option 1:- Do A2 before my CBT runs out in November then after 2 years pay £300 to do my full A licence.

Options 2:- re-do my CBT in November for £90 and ride on L's for another 2 years until I'm 24 and do a DAS for £450.

Opinions?

Also by riding for another 2 years I'd have 2 more years no claims (I hope!) therefore cheaper insurance.

I think it completely depends on whether you want to get a bigger bike or not!

If you're satisfied with the one you've got then I'd just stay with CBT. That way your insurance would stay cheap, wouldn't have to get a bigger bike etc.

But if you really want to get a bigger bike then A2 :)

Im did my A2 18 months ago roughly, Booked in now for full licence.

It costs a lot, but I thought it was worth doing and im glad I did it. I couldnt stand riding around on just a 125 any longer than I had to. So I suppose its down to how you feel about riding a 125 for another 2 years and if the price justifies it.

I would say go for the test though.

I want a bigger bike but I have to consider the cost first of all, plus the fact I can't cancel my insurance on my 125 for pretty much another 10/11 months so even if I get a bigger bike I'll still be paying that. The company I'm with are about £300 more expensive than the rest!

I'm swaying more towards keeping the 125 at the moment but I'll probably change my mind again..

I want a bigger bike but I have to consider the cost first of all, plus the fact I can't cancel my insurance on my 125 for pretty much another 10/11 months so even if I get a bigger bike I'll still be paying that. The company I'm with are about £300 more expensive than the rest!

I'm swaying more towards keeping the 125 at the moment but I'll probably change my mind again..

Then I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.

Why can't you cancel your insurance? I cancelled mine and got £120 from a premium of £600 after 8 months (including the deducted cancellation fee)! Or is that because you don't want to lose a NCB?

I'd just weigh up how much it'll all cost and decide whether you can justify that amount just for a bigger bike!

I pay my insurance monthly so I thought I have to pay it all off if I cancel it?

To be honest I think I'm gonna stick with my little 125 got my eye on a bargain at the minute so maybe a new bike will keep me happy until I'm 24. And before anyone says spend the money on my licence I won't have any because the money I'd be using is the money for my other halfs insurance so once I sell my bike it will be going back into the savings account.

Bob I didn't realise you can ride it for as long as you want.. Seems a con though that you have to do another test after 2 years. I get the idea of restricting the bike so it's less powerful but why not let it automatically upgrade to an a licence?

I'm not sure if it was just drunk talk, but i believe some-one was talking about this license been changed again possibly? if that was some-one who's posted here please inform more?

Either that or i really am just weird and crazy.

Anyway's only you can truly answer you're question, if you want more power more experience and more thrill factor sure, if you don't or simply cannot afford you can always wait!

There is another way.

1 - Do A2

2 - Buy big bike that fits the rules to restrict for A2 but also fits the rules unrestricted for full A

3 - Ride it for 2 years restricted

4 - After 2 years book Mod 1 yourself (no school) for I believe about £15

5 - Turn up at test centre, fidlle with spanner for 10 minutes to remove "restriction"

6 - Pass Mod 1

7 - Repeat process for Mod 2 (I think Mod 2 costs around £70)

If you did that, are you insured on the bike during the tests as your insurance will be based on a restricted vehicle. I'm just playing devils advocate but I'm pretty sure it could be an issue. I also expect that the cost of insurance for the test would make it more worth while to just go from a bike school, even if you just put your tests through with them. I might be wrong.

If you did that, are you insured on the bike during the tests as your insurance will be based on a restricted vehicle. I'm just playing devils advocate but I'm pretty sure it could be an issue. I also expect that the cost of insurance for the test would make it more worth while to just go from a bike school, even if you just put your tests through with them. I might be wrong.

I believe bikesure will cover a big bike on a Provo entitlement for tests. Even if you had to pay an admin fee for change on policy it would be vastly less than just the MOD1 via a school. You would have to fail an awful lot of times to cost as much as a school and as the A2 would have already been passed prior it should be a simple case of repeat performance.

• 2 weeks later...
There is another way.

1 - Do A2

2 - Buy big bike that fits the rules to restrict for A2 but also fits the rules unrestricted for full A

3 - Ride it for 2 years restricted

4 - After 2 years book Mod 1 yourself (no school) for I believe about £15

5 - Turn up at test centre, fidlle with spanner for 10 minutes to remove "restriction"

6 - Pass Mod 1

7 - Repeat process for Mod 2 (I think Mod 2 costs around £70)

Very good idea that but!

As we all know when we have been riding/driving we all get poor/bad habits without even knowing it, so even a few lessons just to get rid of them would be money well spent.

My son want to do the same as you regarding A2/A and I said to him "it's your money do what you feels right but if it was mine I would wait till I was 24"

I wish I was 24 again :crybaby: :lol: