Neutral a pain to get.

Phooey

Not a major problem but it would be nice to be able to select neutral with some degree of confidence.

Stopping, for example at lights, I always try to select neutral but find I am missing it. 1st to 2nd then back to 1st. By the time I get it the lights have often changed.

This problem is not so bad when the bike is warmed up. By warmed up I mean after a good 30 minute plus open road ride.

Is this potentially a clutch issue that might necessitate a basket change at some point, a gearbox issue :( or something else I have not thought about? I have recently changed the clutch cable and I know that it is correctly adjusted.

When I go for a ride out with a couple of mates I am ALWAYS the last to be able to get neutral and they have all suggested something is wrong but, typically, all suggested different things.

What are your thoughts??

Clutch drag......is the bike due for an oil change? As it happens more with a cold engine, then it may be down to the viscosity of the oil when it's cold..... 8-)

Not long had a service mate. New oil included

try pulling the clutch in just before stopping and see if it pops into neutral any easier then while the wheels are still turning,is the chain adjusted correctly as that can also give you problems which can vanish as everything warms up and expands

I am pretty fussy about chain tension and check it regularly. I have tried pulling the clutch early and coasting while trying to find the neutral but that doesn't work either. Immediately after starting it has taken me a minute or more to get neutral. After an hour ride it is within seconds.

I keep getting told that all bikes are the same but to be honest, I don't know another bike as bad as this one. At first I thought it was my inexperience but I have 'played' with a few bikes now taking a quick run round the block and it has only highlighted how difficult mine is!

If you're stopping somewhere, kill the engine with the kill switch and then pop it into neutral..... :wink:

Stu's right (as usual)....replace the plain plates as well as the friction plates and springs with decent quality stuff.... 8-)

Top tip mate.....on many bikes the clutch cover can be removed without draining the oil as long as the bike is on the sidestand..... :wink: