Clothing on a 125

I am currently looking for some protective clothing for myself, I have bits and bobs but i want to get something that looks good and does the protective job well. I understand that the road doesnt care how good you look when your scraping across it but at the moment leathers are looking to be a very expensive option. Is there any clothing that would look more suited to SM riding whilst helping with protection.

For starting out I think that a set of textiles would be the best option......just make sure they have armour in them......cordura has good abrasion resistance........ 8-) Just be warned that there's a lot of bike kit that says it's waterproof and quite a lot of them are not as waterproof as they suggest...... :wink: Goretex stuff is usually waterproof.....but also quite expensive....... :shock: What you can do is get some waterproof textiles and also a waterproof one piece suit to go over the top if the weather is really bad...... :wink:

Good bike gear costs monies whether textile or leather. For sm textile would prob suit and look better imo but it's up to you, it's also a lot more versatile for all riding. I bought cheaper textile gear and although I havnt tested out it's ability to look after my skin it didn't hold up too well in a washing machine so that prob spells trouble. I now go by the motto 'buy cheap buy twice'

And with that in mind the price of leathers vs textiles is a very even playing field.

Coming off at 30mph (which is entirely pos on a 125) you want some decent gear that you can trust.

Don't scrimp on it. You'll regret it. I bought a cheap jacket and it let water through straight away.. Goretex is generally the only REAL waterproof stuff. Other bits are good but it depends on cost.

I just carry a set of waterproofs under my bike seat so if it's awful i can either put them on as i leave work or if its bad while im out pull over.

Btw i have a one piece waterproof a friend gave me. It doesn't fit me so if you want to PM me how big you are and are willing to pay postage you can have it.

bear in mind that goretex is guaranteed for 'life'. what this means in practice is that if you buy a jacket or trousers with a goretex liner - with a usual 1 year warranty. If a few years later - it leaks. and this leak isn't due to the garment either 'falling apart' or due to 'crash damage' - or 'abuse'. Goretex will give you a refund.

Fella I know did just that.. he bought a pair of goretex lined trousers 2nd hand off ebay. they leaked. he called goretex who told him to send them off and a week or two later a cheque for £300 popped through his letter box.. which was really nice as the trousers had only cost him £80 in the first place.

Goretex is expensive for a reason.

Most of the guys I know and also myself when riding SM's for fun always wear full leather (usually one pieces) and motox boots, when commuting then the textiles come out.

RST do cracking textiles which are waterproof and on ebay for half the price they usually are. RST blade jacket and trousers can both be bought second hand for just over £100 compared to buying some chenwang unbranded stuff off ebay where the jacket and trousers will cost you about £80 new but will leak like a sieve in anything over drizzle and when it gets really cold you will end up looking like a right tubby with all the extra layers you will need.

Buy good and if funds are tight second hand until you can save enough for some spankers as there is nothing worse then being cold and wet whilst on a bike as it distracts you and in those conditions you need to be focused 100% on what is going on around you :)

I have a cheap jacket I wear to ride to work as I'm a fish fryer and clothes start to stink fast :shock: the difference between that jacket and my heine gericke one is night and day. Not just waterproofing but the wind resistance. with the cheap jacket I can feel the wind hitting my chest and it gets cold fast.

:stupid:

I found that. My cheap one always let the air in. Got cold real quick, aswell as soaking up the water.

My new one (only £150) is so much better. I don't feel the cold. It keeps me dry. The air just feels like it's hititng me and going around not through! =D

I got the RST slice stuff. after about 14 months of commuting (approx 20k miles) it was leaking like a sieve! Bit of reproofing and it's fine though. It looks decent enought and is fairly hard wearing. a few frayed edged and what have you - the trousers have about had it.

i spent approx £300 on boots, gloves trousers and a jacket and that lasted me 20k miles. i had to replace the boots after 10k miles as i'd worn a hole in the bottom. and the trousers lasted 20k miles. the jacket is still going - but sadly i have no bike at the moment.