Honda CBR 125 cuts out when idle

Guest stew95

Hello I bought a used Honda cbr 125 08 reg FI yesterday and whenever I am at lights the and the bike is idle around 1500 revs the bike will cut out unless i keep the revs up.

When i first picked it up I had rode about two miles and then stalled the bike at a junction and couldnt get it to turn over. After ringing the dealer and being picked up we went back to the shop where they said the battery was dead and then after charging it for a little bit and them running it around town I managed to get gome but the bike was still stalling at idle when stopped at lights.

Does anyone know what I can, there is a 28 day warranty from the dealer if that makes a difference as thia is my firsy bike.

thank you in advance for help

thinking aloud here. but do reg/rec's work better at high revs? If so, it may only be charging the battery at high revs, so at idle, the battery runs out of juice and isnt charged anymore?

Either way, take it back to the dealer. Let them sort it

the thing is i had driven about two miles from the dealer on my way home and went round a corner a bit too fast because it was on a slant and i didnt realize so i ended up going into the other lane for a split second before pulling it back and stalling. then i couldnt get it started, got picked up by this dealer and taken back where they did a quick charge and then let me go off on it.

Some guy showed up when i had to get taken back and i think it was the boss who said put a new battery in but they didn't and kept telling me it was my fault for the bike not working properly.

thinking aloud here. but do reg/rec's work better at high revs? If so, it may only be charging the battery at high revs, so at idle, the battery runs out of juice and isnt charged anymore?

im not sure what you mean by reg/recs?

im not sure what you mean by reg/recs?

reg/rec= regulator/rectifier. Its basically the inbuilt charger for the bike, without it the battery would run flat. But then again, an old battery would run flat even if it was being charged properly.

Thinking about it (in my not so sober state) I don't know why it would have anything to do with the electrical system. To make a bike run you need air, fuel and a spark. Surely its more likely that the fuel/air mixture being off, pointing to something being blocked?

I dunno, thinking out loud, its dangerous when you don't know what your on about haha

I'd still recommend giving it back to the dealer though, they have a responsibility (I think) to put things right after you buy it if anything is wrong.

Battery is knackered, the bike is keeping itself going using the reg/rec but there's not enough power to keep it running at idle.

Get the bike back to the dealer and tell them to sort it out or you want your money back.

Get it back to the dealer. Don't let them waffle you. Tell them to sort it or money back. No negotiations. In fact to be honest if it was me they would be paying my taxi fare home too. Do not allow them to blame you.

Right, so yesterday I took the bike for a longish ride of about 30 miles each way. Didn't stall and worked perfectly the entire way there and back, no starting issues.

Woke up this morning put the keys in ignition and fired her up without a problem. Turned off, went in and got gear on, then when i went back out sat on the bike and tried to start it wouldnt turn over again. Now the battery is completely flat.

I think the dealer knows its a bad battery because they provided a charger lead but no charger, also when i rang him this morning he said Im flooding the engine which i know i didnt because i only pressed the button twice for a couple of seconds each time before ringing him. Now though the battery is completely flat and they are saying the warranty is with them so I would have to get the bike down to them which I cant do because im only 19 and on a limited budget.

I had places to be today and now i cant do anything with this bike after owning it for 3 days!! Im close to the point of demanding my money back and buying a different bike.

They need to come and collect the bike and fix it.......if they start trying to fob you off mention Trading Standards....they have sold you a bike with warranty, so they have to honour that warranty!!

When you took the bike out yesterday, did you charge the battery before you went out? Like Alex has mentioned, I'm starting to wonder if the Reg/Rec is stuffed.... :roll:

I didn't charge it, i think i didnt ride it for a day even because of the weather.

The guy ive been dealing with is waiting for the owner to come back from a delivery where he is going to decide what to do. Thats the last time i spoke to him but the owners on a 14 hour drive