New glasses as in spectacles

TC1474

Since the age of about 12 I have been long sighted so have had to wear glasses for close up work, but my distance vision has never been a problem until recently. I could not see 2 inches in front of my nose, but I could see a boil on a flys bum at 500 yards :whi5tl:

However over the past few months I have noticed that my eyes were not too clever on distance work so at as I was due my routine check up last week I suspected that I just needed a slightly stronger prescription.

Long story short, I need glasses all the time now as age has now caught up with me and my distance vision is not what it should be.

So I was recommended to try varifocals which would avoid the need for two pairs of glasses which made sense. Got lots of comments (especially from the Dragon in law) who said I would not like them as they would make me feel seasick, and I would not be able to see very well because of the way the different lenses are blended in.

Anyway, picked them up today, and nothing like I was expecting, quite the contrary, for the first time in a long time I can see everything clearly,

It was quite a revelation getting back into the car and being able to see things like the trip meter clearly and the clock.

Got home, no problem, sat down at my computer and found that instead at just glancing up at the screen I now have to actually move my head which is going to take a bit of getting used to.

But the most difficult thing is that every time I get up from my desk, I am still in the habit of taking off my glasses and forgetting that they are now on all the time. Mid afternoon I went into the kitchen and wondered whu I could not read a lable again and then realised that I had taken them off.

On the plus side, no more forgetting to take my glasses with me, or hooking them on the front of my shirt and they fall in a puddle when I lean over or putting them in a pocket and forgetting where I put them. :whi5tl:

But it is nice to be able to see properly again

So I was recommended to try varifocals which would avoid the need for two pairs of glasses which made sense.

Been using them for 12 years. Don't buy cheap lenses. They make your neck ache!

I'm he other way round, I'm short-sighted.

I got varifocals because while my long sight isn't totally dismal and my short sight is acceptable, trying to read road signs in the dark and street names that are high up on the side of houses (need to read these for my job) was nigh-on impossible, I went for them.

I don't always wear them but they are very good indeed. Perhaps I should wear them more, they were the best part of three hundred quid with all the coatings and everything...

Your in law probably never had them fitted properly. Plus years ago cardinals were horrible. Lenses are getting better now. I have just had to have new goggles, had to have a prism put in a lense now , as if they were not expensive enough, not far off £450 this time round but I never scrimp on my eyes, I have been wearing them over 30 years now and can not live without. Welcome to the goggle brigade 8-)

Your in law probably never had them fitted properly. Plus years ago cardinals were horrible. Lenses are getting better now. I have just had to have new goggles, had to have a prism put in a lense now , as if they were not expensive enough, not far off £450 this time round but I never scrimp on my eyes, I have been wearing them over 30 years now and can not live without. Welcome to the goggle brigade 8-)

Well 4 days in and I really have not had any issues other than forgetting that I do not need to take them off when I walk away from my desk, and MiL has taken offence when after all her criticism I told he she was talking out of her backside :D

I am also getting used to turning my head to look at something rather than just glancing, or as before with my old prescription just looking over the top of my glasses, and it is starting even at this early stage to become second nature, so I am very encouraged.

It is nice to be able to see without having to keep putting glasses on and off as previously. Keeping my old glasses handy as a back up for close work, and I also realised when it was too late that I should have had photochromatic lenses as my sunglasses will be obsolete, but with some clip ons, I am sure I can cope until my next pair become due.

TC,if I might give a small word of advice;

do NOT let the bridge of your varifocals become loose,or start slipping down your conk. Seems obvious,but it's surprisingly common to see spectacle-wearers swiftly giving their specs a shove back into position. With varifocals,it makes a BIG difference. Keeping them where they're meant to be makes a HUGE difference to the way you move your head/compensate for 'blur'. I know this seems obvious stuff-but with varifocals it makes a MASSIVE difference. Plus,if you aren't looking through the correct part of the lens,even by a very small distance,you quite possibly will wonder why you're getting headaches. I use varifocals for close work [long-sighted]and I swear by them...but I learned the hard way not to let the bridge grips become loose. So-keep'em tight! Errm...I'll go away now..

I used to wear glasses for driving (this was before my epiphany and learning to ride as a true 2 wheel disciple), but as I have aged I had about 4 years with no glasses and can now see distances but need glasses for reading, including the dashboard. I can see the speedo and rev counter but thats about it, especially in the dark. In the car I often wear my glasses on the end of my nose, looking over them out the windscreen and through them to the dashboard. I cant wear glasses under my helmet, and have thought I could do with one of those thin flexible magnifying lenses that I could try sticking to the bottom inch of my visor, thus enabling me to see the full dashboard. Does anyone else think this would work, and/or know where I could get such a lens.

Additional to my previous post, I discussed this with 'er indoors who thought it was a great idea and I should patent it quick and make us a fortune, but before that she just did a quick web search and guess what, someone in the US beat me to it, stick on lenses for $15 a pair, various strengths. They're intended to stick onto your own glasses or sunglasses to make them bifocal, but for the money I may take the risk and try sticking them to the visor.

Back to the lottery for my retirement fund then.