bluetooth headsets

just a quick questions fellas as ive never used a headset before but im thinking about getting a headset, now my query is do i have to get the same as my mates who have scala to be able to hear them or do any makes link together because i like the look if the sena units.

what do you use?

Some of the newer headsets are compatible with other makes, so it really depends on what you buy and how old if you buy second hand.

The new Sena 20S is the dogs doodahs but not cheap and is backward and other makes compatible.

Best thing to do is check the various manufacturers websites.

If you but the cheap ones on ebay they will not be compatible with other makes.

• 2 months later...

So if you've got a headset for the sat nav, and you're away from electrical sockets for a couple of weeks, how do you keep the headset charged? I can wire a relevant USB charger to the bike but do I then have to ride with it plugged in? Is it normal to ride with a cable attached to the bike feeding the headset? Can't think of another way but then, I am quite thick !

Hi, normally you get a USB adaptor lead with your headset to charge the battery that's inside the headset, what you do is after a days riding remove the headset from your helmet connect the charger lead to the headset to the USB charger on your bike. I would suggest you put the charger under your seat to A) keep it dry and B) stop it from getting stolen

or get a portable usb charger, they can be had for a few quid from amazon or ebay, and they work pretty well. mine was abused at last years rally with all the charging.

if your mates have scala's ask them if they can pair with other brands or not?

Hi Chrissb6. Thanks for the heads up. I was concerned that charging the headset overnight would take too much from the battery but you seem ok with it. Cool, that makes things easier. The "under the seat" option won't work on me Sprint. But I catch your drift. Ta mate. Do you reckon I could charge the headset and me phone with the engine off and still have enough in the battery to start the bike in the morning?

No problems Mate, once the batteries are full on the phone or headset there charger control circuits should shut down. Charging your two units should cause you no dramas what so ever left on the bike overnight. I leave my 2 headsets and sometimes my phone on charge overnight never had a problem. Just be sure that your USB charger can handle the two unit together, the cheap USB chargers only give out around 500ma, this charger here is just the job.

http://ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/Vehicle_A ... ebar_Mount

Thanks again Chris. I suppose I could try it for the first time in me garage, just to be sure.

And al-stu Is that the one you got? And do you mean you just managed to squeeze it onto the left hand bar on your Sprint?

Yes mate, I did get it on. Although you can just stick it on to a flat surface, they provide Both fixings

You might have the issue Chris mentioned I think the one I have fitted is 2 amps split across the two usb ports, so using one is fine for my Samsung but I suspect if I used both it wouldnt charge properly or at least take a lot longer

just checked my bluetooth headsets, they pull 1amp each so would be fine

Guess it depends what you're charging

That's 2 the guys sold after I bought it and told you lot...I should have asked for commission lol

1486761462_2015-02-1919_36_37.thumb.jpg.78b035b070460dcdf72bc3b52f4ff1cb.jpg

If you want power to your BT headset whist riding, another options is one of those emergency power packs for mobile phones. You could easily keep that in your pocket and have a lead up to your headset.

Not wired to the bike then so free to get on/off without snagging wires.

Just a thought.

If you want power to your BT headset whist riding, another options is one of those emergency power packs for mobile phones. You could easily keep that in your pocket and have a lead up to your headset.

Just a thought.

Are you sure the units still work whilst on charge Joe? I thought that the lights on the unit go red when being charged then turn blue when fully charged. Surely this will deactivate the unit during this period.

Different manufacturers use different Blue Tooth protocols and it would take a bit of research to find out which makes pair with which other makes.

For example, normally Scala and Sena are not compatible. Sena have addressed this by providing a Universal Pairing Option on most of their models. This works by pairing the headsets as Mobile Phones and although I can't be sure, I think range is probably reduced compared to normal pairing. So you can pair one incompatible Headset plus the normal compatible Headsets. I have the SMH10 and a couple of 20S models and can highly recommend both. Battery Life is not an issue for all day riding and they can be charged while in use if necessary. Sena have recently introduced a couple of more models to their range. The 10U is helmet specific to certain makes and models and is a concealed fitment. The 3S is a new entry level Headset.

The SMH5 is best suited for Rider to Pillion as range and no ability to speak or listen to more than 1 other Headset at a time limits their function for a group of riders.

By Pairing the 10 and 20S range in a certain way you can make up a working group of more than one non Sena Headsets for example with the SMH10 you can have 2 Sena and 2 Universal Pairings, Double that with the 20S. Be mindful that the other Headsets have to be able to support multi headset connections for it to work properly.

Just a thought.

Are you sure the units still work whilst on charge Joe? I thought that the lights on the unit go red when being charged then turn blue when fully charged. Surely this will deactivate the unit during this period.

Not sure to be honest mate. device dependent probably. The headset i had for listening to music let me power it whilst it was working. I used a phone battery pack and a long usb lead. Worth a test :)