23 yr old wants to know easiest way to get on bigger bike ?

Guest phoenix1991

hello im 23 years old , ive ridden a 125 for bought one and half years , ive covered a lot of miles on my bikes as i toured around the uk with them , but now its time for me to get training and get a bigger bike but i was wondering the best way to go out about it and what the prices are like ? and good bikes to start off with ?

As Bob (Tango) said wait. Basically right now you can do an A2 licence which means doing your theory test and mod 1&2 then you can ride a bike which must be restricted to 47bhp and be no more than double that (94bhp) out the factory so that dramatically reduces the choice of bikes you'll have. Plus to rub salt in the wound once you turn 24 you can upgrade to a full A licence BUT you have to do your mod 1&2 again on a bigger bike.

So to sum it up, by doing your A2 you're restricted as to what bike you can ride and you have to retake your mod 1&2.

If you wait until you're 24 you can do your direct access (DAS) and ride whatever you can afford to insure!

• 2 months later...

+1 On the whole await until you're old enough to take the A license.

Makes more financial sense you may have to do your CBT/theory again but beats having to spend another £400+ on training/test fee's to retake a full license.

As for the bike to get.. there are many personal factors as to what you can get the list is to big to start suggesting, draw up a list of MUST's and WANT's and then compromise.. find a bike that meets your budget and start getting dummy quotes, if you find one that meets your price point and can be insured then you've got your target, get the license out the way and see if you can test ride it.. so on and so forth.

In reality I've seen an old 1998 Kawasaki ZX6R (Ninja) for just under £2,000 as well as seeing an R1 (age was 1990-2000, somewhere inbetween) on gumtree for around £1,600 (the ad disappeared within hours.. no surprise) so do shop around.