PDF Software????

min200

Knowing some of you good folks on here are good at this computer stuff I thought it the best place to ask about PDF software.

Are there any good free PDF software packages that anyone uses? I want to put a PDF file together but once I typed it into google and say the billions of confusing results I walked away thinking best to ask someone who knows better than me :lol: :lol:

So any recommendations please folks?

Personally, as a software engineer, I recommend Bullzip PDF Printer. It really is all you need. You install it and then you can print anything you want to it as if it were a printer - but it saves the output as a PDF document. No bells, no whistles, just a plain, simple, bulletproof piece of software. It's free and I've been using it for years. Why choose anything else which has unnecessary complication that comes at a cost?

See here: http://www.bullzip.com/

Personally, as a software engineer, I recommend Bullzip PDF Printer. It really is all you need. You install it and then you can print anything you want to it as if it were a printer - but it saves the output as a PDF document. No bells, no whistles, just a plain, simple, bulletproof piece of software. It's free and I've been using it for years. Why choose anything else which has unnecessary complication that comes at a cost?

Depends what you're doing! My work would look shite if I made it in Paint or Word then used a print-as-pdf tool :P

Depends what you're doing! My work would look shite if I made it in Paint or Word then used a print-as-pdf tool :P

Surely that depends on how you send it to the tool? E.g. making sure that the resolution is preserved (300 or 600 dpi for print quality, I am guessing), and the colour algorithms are correctly set up (e.g. using CMYK instead of RGB for printable material). Seems to work for me!

I like bullzip because you can modify the kernel client layer of the tool as you wish via an INI file, if you use the Linux distro.

I just meant the initial creation of it more than the output settings. Vector graphics, linked object, bleed and trim, quality of text rendering and feathering, to follow your theme of output colour there's always Pantone support to consider, etc, etc.

That being said, even on the output settings front you'll find that software designed for the purpose of PDF creation gives a lot more output options than standard print dialogues paired with a "print as PDF" tool.

I just meant the initial creation of it more than the output settings. Vector graphics, linked object, bleed and trim, quality of text rendering and feathering, to follow your theme of output colour there's always Pantone support to consider, etc, etc.

That being said, even on the output settings front you'll find that software designed for the purpose of PDF creation gives a lot more output options than standard print dialogues paired with a "print as PDF" tool.

Sounds like you do more advanced printmaking than me! I just use Adobe Photoshop to design web graphics, and the PDF printer to print technical manuals and product brochures!

Quite probably! My last major project was a £230,000 print run :lol:

But I figure that if Adobe are kind enough to let people use the fancy toys free of charge for a month, I may as well recommend them! Once you've started using them it's hard to imagine how you ever survived without. I'd recommend giving a trial of InDesign a go for your product brochures, the layout tools are much more refined than Photoshop and the way it pulls together all the elements you've created in PS is really cool 8-)