What Licence Do I Need.

Hi guys...never owned a bike and now at the age of 60 I fancy getting a 175 Bantam.

I hold a full car licence and HGV...

Nick.

CBT to validate the provisional Gp A entitlement. Without that you can't ride anything (unless it has 4 legs).

Then Gp A full test to ride a 175cc, which ideally needs training on a big bike before doing motorbike theory, Mod 1 offroad and Mod 2 onroad tests.

I'm guessing at 60 you will have done your test before 2001 which means you will have a full moped licence

this will only allow you to ride a 50cc moped though

if you want a bantam then you will need to do your full licence

"CBT to validate the provisional Gp A entitlement"

Sorry guys dont understand...can I ride one on L plates if I do that basic test around the road cones...is that a CBT???

Sorry if I sound dim but I have just never looked into bike stuff...never needed to...but what does CBT stand for.

Nick.

Hi Nick.......welcome to TMBF...... 8-)

CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training.......this is usually a day long course that would entitle you to ride a bike of 125cc or less on the road with L plates. But, because the Bantam is 175cc you'd need to take the Full bike test to get the motorcycle A license.......this is normally referred to as the DAS (Direct Access Scheme). To do this you'd need to sign up to a riding school who would train you in the 2 modules you'd need to pass.....and they'd probably cover the CBT too, if you didn't already have it........and you'd also need to pass the Motorcycle Theory test too...... :shock:

I know it's crazy, as the Bantam probably puts less power out than modern 125's.....but unfortunately that's the new bike test rules...... :roll:

Many thanks Tango...that sums it up nicely and clearly for me.

Have to have a serious re-think not sure I'm that keen to go through all that stuff at my age.

Nick.

No probs Nick......... 8-)

At your age??........c'mon man, they're not sticking you in the box yet are they??......yeah, getting through the DAS is not cheap, but once you've done it you can ride any bike.......and I will quite confidently predict that once you've done it your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner....... :wink: I've been riding bike for the best part of 40 years......and getting out on the bike still brings a smile to my face......and sometimes manic laughter..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

although as you have a moped licence I'm pretty sure you don't need to do the theory as you are upgrading your category and not adding a new one

My understanding is...

He'll be asked for theory certificate when he presents himself for test. If he'd actually passed a moped test then no need, otherwise he's adding a new category as the moped thing is a "deemed" licence category.

But I could be wrong, in which case I wasted the theory fee :oops:

although as you have a moped licence I'm pretty sure you don't need to do the theory as you are upgrading your category and not adding a new one

My understanding is...

He'll be asked for theory certificate when he presents himself for test. If he'd actually passed a moped test then no need, otherwise he's adding a new category as the moped thing is a "deemed" licence category.

But I could be wrong, in which case I wasted the theory fee :oops:

it is a bit of a grey area if you ask me and isn't clearly lined out

my understanding is that a moped licence is a different category to a car but in the same category of a bike so you are upgrading

maybe someone needs to test it :lol:

it is a bit of a grey area if you ask me and isn't clearly lined out

my understanding is that a moped licence is a different category to a car but in the same category of a bike so you are upgrading

maybe someone needs to test it :lol:

Prior to 2013 moped was Cat P, so theory was needed for Cat A.

Now we have Cat AM (and Q) but is AM part of Cat A (so wouldn't need theory) or a separate Cat in it's own right (so theory IS needed)?

My head hurts now... and I want my test fee back!