SV650s Engine Noise? (Video)

isutty5

Hi Guys,

Passed my A2 Test recently and bought an SV650s '99 with 16.5K miles on the clock.

It is restricted to 47bhp with Carb Fuel/air restrictor washers (seated correctly)

Was running absolutely perfectly when I bought it from my very trustworthy colleague who also fitted the restrictor for me while he was showing me how to take the bike apart for maintenance/cleaning.

I have had it for 3 weeks and put 600 miles on it, and maintained it well.

However, recently I have noticed a noise coming from the engine, sounds closer to the front cylinder head and maybe slightly more audible on the right but not too sure.

Checked the Cam chain tensioner with my colleague and saw no issues, free to move, no sticking, springs are all fine.

I have uploaded a short video so that you can hear the noise for yourself and possibly identify what it could be.

I only hear this at idle, there are no problems while riding and it goes as smooth as butter.

here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoX_B4W310&feature=youtu.be

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thank You in advance!

Jordan.

Edited by isutty5

Will certainly give that a try in the morning and feed back on that. Yeah the microphone doesn't do the best job, can hear it clearly with my own ears. may just need to raise the volume enough to bring out the noise. otherwise I can try to enhance the audio and repost it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thank You in advance!

Jordan.

My money is on clutch, and on it being nothing to worry about :)

Will definitely give the clutch a try. If it is the clutch, what would be the reason behind it? is it common in v-twins?

P.S updated the video on first post, tried to enhance audio a little on the sections where I am not talking.

Cheers.

Air leak from the exhaust?

Sounds daft but a small leak can sound like something more serious. When I bought my Blackbird a few years back some dope had previously tightened the downpipes to the manifold too much and sheared off part of the engine block. They did a bodge job with resin that over time cracked and caused a leak. I thought exactly the same as you with the tensioner at first, changed that and of course didn't solve it. Eventually I tracked it down to be the manifold issue.

Thinking the worst (i.e. that it'd need a new engine casing!) I took it to a mechanics where I'd heard there was a good Polish welder - he was Polish, and he was good - welded a new exhaust stud in and it held tight ever since. No more issues for over 5 years up until I sold it and it was still fine then.

So yes, short version - check your exhaust!

i would go with clutch rattle as well,you can always use the old piece of wood trick or long screwdriver and place it on certain points around the engine i.e clutch case,cam covers,round crankshaft and listen to it as it will show any area that has the funny sound up

My previous SV's had a bit of a rattle at idle and when the clutch was in neutral. Just the neutral gear spinning around and clattering due to the torsional forces of the engine. A V-twin isn't balanced so these effects end up manifesting as a bit of a clattering noise.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't worry about it.

It isn't causing any performance issues, and have now learnt from many sources that this is a common thing with SVs and V-twins.

The problem doesn't go away in neutral/pulling in clutch but I don't think I need to worry about it.

Thank You!

:D