Filtering

Azen

I don't use cycle lanes. I'm sure others do but fairly sure it is illegal. Also if you use a cycle lane and cause an accident you'll be to blame because you shouldn't be there.

Are you asking if you should filter at lights and traffic jams when out on test? I wouldn't, purely because it opens you up to making extra mistakes. No point risking the test because you wanted to filter forward. Plus wasting plenty of time stopped means less time to mess up :P

My instructor told me not to bother when on my MOD2 test.

He said make progress where possible, so if one lane is moving faster than the other, move to it, but that was all.

Filtering isn't necessary to show progress.

Didn't filter when I sat the test but my examiner was in a car as his bike was off the road due to it not working.

Can't remenber for sure think he had been involed in a bump and it was being sorted.

He was never closer to me than 2/3 cars away.

So if I filtered I would have left him well and truly behind.

Legally, using cycle lanes on a motorbike depends on the type of cycle lane: you must not use mandatory cycle lanes (solid separating line), but you can use advisory cycle lanes if safe to do so (dashed separating line).

• 2 weeks later...
Your expected to filter on the test if the examiner is on a bike too and if you dont when hitting traffic you could recieve minors at least for not making progress

I was advised to not filter. I didnt and remained in traffic on occasion. I passed my test with 0 minors. I dont think youre required to filter. Make progress is different be it dual carriage ways etc.

You dont get taught to filter and so im happy to say its not required of you either. Plus devils advocate... Its a heightened risk to filter.

Your expected to filter on the test if the examiner is on a bike too and if you dont when hitting traffic you could recieve minors at least for not making progress

I was advised to not filter. I didnt and remained in traffic on occasion. I passed my test with 0 minors. I dont think youre required to filter. Make progress is different be it dual carriage ways etc.

You dont get taught to filter and so im happy to say its not required of you either. Plus devils advocate... Its a heightened risk to filter.

I was taught to filter and was told on the day pf the test if the examiner is on a bike ill be expected to filter. Sitting in traffic is never good in a test my sister failed her second driving test because of an accident on the motorway brought the test route to a standstill and there was not enough driving to asses on.

Interesting. I suppose its safe to say... Where ever you take your test just ask. Or take your test in my town if you want to chill out. Maybe we all need to do that!

Interesting. I suppose its safe to say... Where ever you take your test just ask. Or take your test in my town if you want to chill out. Maybe we all need to do that!

Take your test on the Isle of Barra, and you'll not have to worry about filtering. Or roundabouts. Or traffic! :D

Prob best to ask before you head off if he would expect you to. It's a fair question tbh.

Also if my instructor was in a car i would filter and leave him behind, He can't see you f**k up then :D

I was taught filtering and I did some on the test. I also had the opportunity to do an overtake but didn't as I wasn't sure on the rulings. When I asked the examiner at the end he said " I wish you had if done, I've been waiting years for someone to do an overtake"