Not another trip to Scotland advice thread...

nikolees

As the title suggests...

I want to ride to Scotland and think I could fit it in Easter days.

I will be doing this alone and I don't mind not visiting the cities, that could be done another time with company.

I want to ride as many GOOD roads as possible and I'd like to go as North as possible.

So:

- How many days should I target as minimum? Mind you, I can do up to 500 miles on a day but I don't want this to be another commute on motorways- I've had enough of it. I was thinking leaving Wednesday evening, spend the night with friends in Liverpool and start Thursday morning from there and be back in London Tuesday late night.

- Should I book accomodation in advance? I was thinking just to hit the road, see how each day goes and decide then where I could stay. Are those days high-season-ish for Scotland?

- What about speed cameras up there?

- What about tyre wear in such a journey? I've got a Bridgestone BT016 for almost 2K miles now and the way I see it, it could be another 2K or more going there. Do you think I can make it last?

Any advice is welcome.

Please stop giving me ideas about going to Scotland. Thank you. :mrgreen:

Oh, come on now, you've ridden half the continent and you're having thoughts about Scotland?

:lol:

Already in the 'thinking about planning it' stage. It's an itch I have to scratch. For me, I would camp but then I'm weird like that :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

By my calculations you will be able to arrive in Scotland on Thursday and then have four days to ride and spend a last night near the border for the long run on Tuesday to London.

How many hours riding a day would you consider?

Please stop giving me ideas about going to Scotland. Thank you. :mrgreen:

Oh, come on now, you've ridden half the continent and you're having thoughts about Scotland?

:lol:

Already in the 'thinking about planning it' stage. It's an itch I have to scratch. For me, I would camp but then I'm weird like that :mrgreen:

you definitely are weird.. just 30 miles further, than.. say Fort William is this:

No Midges. No deep fried haggis.. and definitely no, well very few.. men in frocks with no nickers.

http://www.dicconbewes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/p1020274.jpg

also as an added bonus.. no M6. :mrgreen:

you definitely are weird.. just 30 miles further, than.. say Fort William is this:

No Midges. No deep fried haggis.. and definitely no, well very few.. men in frocks with no nickers.

http://www.dicconbewes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/p1020274.jpg

also as an added bonus.. no M6. :mrgreen:

Thanks for putting that in perspective. I've gone off the idea now :mrgreen:

I think it is Norway!

I would suggest once at Gretna turn left and head towards Dumfries and then Ayr. From there keep to the coast and via Greenock over the Erskine bridge and stop Dumbarton/Balloch area. Next day head north over the Rest and Be Thankful via Glen Coe and the A87 to the Beallach na Ba to Applecross. From there head across to Inverness and into the Cairngorms and The Lecht stopping at Ballater or Braemar. Then head south over Glen Shee via Blairgowrie, Perth, Forth bridge, A68 and leave Scotland via Carter Bar.

You have now done the four highest mountain passes in Scotland.

I think it is Norway!

no.. its here: http://goo.gl/maps/fLFWV Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland. and yes.. it really is just a little further from Dorking than Skye Bridge. 626 miles against 603 miles

apologies.. I meant the Skye Bridge, not Fort William. (duh)

and apologies for the off topic diversion.. Ive been trying to get that man to venture down to the Alps for years now. :mrgreen:

(useless factoid - Tolkien visited it as a young man and based Rivendell on what he saw.)

and just to make matters worse:

the bottom of the valley.. the village you can see is 500ft higher than the highest road in Scotland.

I think it is Norway!

I would suggest once at Gretna turn left and head towards Dumfries and then Ayr. From there keep to the coast and via Greenock over the Erskine bridge and stop Dumbarton/Balloch area. Next day head north over the Rest and Be Thankful via Glen Coe and the A87 to the Beallach na Ba to Applecross. From there head across to Inverness and into the Cairngorms and The Lecht stopping at Ballater or Braemar. Then head south over Glen Shee via Blairgowrie, Perth, Forth bridge, A68 and leave Scotland via Carter Bar.

Thanks Throttled, the way you planned it for me I would have two free days to roll around?? :D