Couple of Issues

MissBex

Heya all,

wondering if anyone could give any insight on a couple of things going on with my hornet.

Firstly, what would cause a rubbing/scuffing type noise that gets faster/slower with the bikes speed, kind of like a "chka-chka-chka" noise, is that makes sense. Perhaps something to do with chain or pads?

Secondly, it's the 2nd time I've noticed it do this now, but today after a 30-40 min ride, I stop off at a shop and a green fluid (Guessing coolant?) starts to come out of the bike at the bottom near the gear shifter/sidestand area. It pours out a little puddle and then thats it. It did the same thing the other day aswell. I rode it around the car park a few time and no more comes out. I ride it home and don't notice any more coming out. I never see any in the garage when it's been sitting in there. So I don't think it's a constant leak.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance

Hi Mate,

Re; the noise.

It could be either, check the chain tension and lubrication. Also check wheel alignment if poss. I had some chain noise a while ago, out of the blue and i couldn't figure it out. Checked it with the bike shop and they couldn't fin anything wrong. Eventually it just stopped.

It could also be that the pads are binding, go for a short ride and see how hot the discs get, if it's hot and you haven't done much raining then it's likely they are binding.

Heya, Thanks for the reply,

It's been happening for quite a while but I'm sure it's getting louder. It had it's MoT last month and the bike shop said my chain was a little 'tight' but should be ok. He did say however that the brakes could do with a service, thinking about it - so I think that they might be the culprit. I've got all brand new ebc pads ready but I want to get it done all at once with oil, filter, spark plug check etc.. properly by a bike shop this first time round since I've had her, and maybe they can give me info on the coolant thing too. £150-£200 for the service, so I might just cough up and get it done.

Heya, Thanks for the reply,

It's been happening for quite a while but I'm sure it's getting louder. It had it's MoT last month and the bike shop said my chain was a little 'tight' but should be ok. He did say however that the brakes could do with a service, thinking about it - so I think that they might be the culprit. I've got all brand new ebc pads ready but I want to get it done all at once with oil, filter, spark plug check etc.. properly by a bike shop this first time round since I've had her, and maybe they can give me info on the coolant thing too. £150-£200 for the service, so I might just cough up and get it done.

Wise choice, if in doubt get a professional to sort it!

The coolant thing seems a bit weird and i have literally no idea on that one.

Thinking about it, is the coolant level quite high? It could be coming out of an overflow pipe, if one exists on your bike.

I could be chatting bollocks though!

Well, when it happened the first time, I googled it and saw something about if there is too much coolant - check the reservoir (Which is under my seat) so I had a quick look, (Was really sunny and couldn't see where the upper/lower markers were at the time but I need to have a proper look. I gave the bike a wiggle and saw it in there - didn't look to high or too low. I will have another look tomorrow.

Both times I've noticed it happen have both been on pretty warm days - but that might not have any relevance.

Edit: I found the picture on my phone that I took the first time it happened.

(I think I had moved the bike back slightly before I took the pic.)

It kind of comes out bright green in a puddle and then spreads out and fizzles away to leave this patch on the floor. When it happened today, it didn't spill as much and the patch wasn't as big.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/https25253A25252F25252Flh3.googleusercontent.com25252FFe4T-acami99g2ctWrJllb15OWpeWGAm8mtV9gBuE1o25253Ds0-d_zpsaiav9wz8.jpg

Shame there isn't someone local to you to have a gander at the noise. Probably chain as has been said although I guess pads worn out could be causing noise. Have you tried cleaning and lubing the chain ?

The coolant thing, I would just keep a beady eye on the coolant level in the tank and the temp gauge when you're out and about. With air temperatures rising this time of year, it's easier for everything to run that little bit hotter and cause expansion out of the system.

Make sure you get a price from the shop for extra work outside the quoted service price. If you're supplying parts, it should just be and extra hour of labour. Certainly changing pads isn't going to take too long.

Check your coolant level

It may have been over filled if it has then its nothing to worry about really but if it's on the low side then it needs investigating

You may have a weak rad cap

I'm guessing the bike doesn't overheat?

Hi, regarding the chain, check the tension and alignment if all ok then check the chain for a dry tight link. If nothing found check the condition of sprockets. Regarding the overflow from the cooling system, first check the coolant level from cold, then run up the motor check to see if the thermostat opens and then continue and make sure that the fan cuts in at the correct temperature. if all this is ok l would then suspect that you've got a weak radiator cap. When the motor is stopped after a run the water pump also stops, this causes the water in the hot engine to pool up and boil, this hot water should be accommodated in the expansion bottle. If the - radiator cap is weak it will let go of the water and release it out of the overflow pipe which is what your seeing.

Hope this helps

Save some dosh on your service btw, an oil change and filter are extremely easy to do.

Brake pads (if you have 1 back 2 front?) should only really take an hours labour cost if you're supplying the pads and a spark plug check no idea but i can't imagine that taking long at all. Might save you a fair bit of dosh =)

I'd be interested to see what your cha cha sound turns out to be Miss Bex. I've had the same noise since doing a chain and sprocket set change.

Checked everything but can't find the noise!

Hey all, wow thanks for all the replies and info! :)

I cleaned and lubed the chain with wurth dry chain lube when I first got the bike (Sept last year) and relubed after washing a few times over winter as I occasionally took it out to keep it running, however I had to do it by rolling the bike back and forwards as I don't have a rear/abba stand for it yet. I tried to do it as best I could - It's never looked 'wet' with oil which I assume is because of the stuff I was using was dry - but when I took it for it's MOT the guy said the chain was quite dry and needed lubing - which he did for me and now looks more oily. He told me it was a bit 'tight' but with the new lube on it might help it out. (rereading this, could be taken the wrong way! :lol: haha)

I checked the alignment notches after they did the split valves for the MOT and it seems good, the noise was happening before it's MOT. The guy did say to me though, that the brakes could do with a service. Also, thinking about it, when I roll it out the garage in the morning, it does kind of sound rubby then and sometimes makes a squealy noise too, so I'm thinking it's the brakes.

I think I'd be just about competent enough to work out doing the oil and filter, I think it's an easy job from what I've seen on videos and reading the book, but I don't think I'd want to touch the brakes. I know I'd mess something up. But yeah, I do have a whole new set of EBC pads waiting for it and they calipers could probably do with being cleaned up inside. I think you have to remove the tank for spark plugs right? :S Wouldn't be keen on doing that myself as a newbie.

The service price I was quoted was £150 and that includes oil & filter, brake service (Which they said they would put my pads in if I brought them along), spark plug inspection and a "26 point visual health check". They told me they would not carry out any additional work without consulting me first.

I will go and have a proper look at the coolant level in a bit and see if I can take the rad cap off and have a look at that. (Apparently I've been told there's a sneaky screw holding it on?)

I haven't noticed the bike overheating, when riding along the country national roads etc.. It says cool and then if I'm stopped for a while in traffic the temp gauge does go up and then the fan kicks in. It also does it if it's left to idle for a while and I hear the fan come on and off.

Edited by MissBex

A motorcycle chain going to make a little bit of noise whilst on the move it a hefty piece of metal meshing with the sprockets, what you don't want is a clicking sound, a noise out of sync with the rest of the chain. That normally down to tension a tight spot or a dry link, miss alignment or in extreme cases hooked or broken teeth on the sprockets

Oil is as simple as opening the plug at the bottom and let it drain out (tool station sell a pan for like £5 that holds 40 litres or something) then oil filter unscrews (a pair of grips if it's to tight) then smear some clean oil on the new filter then screw it in by hand only. close the plug under neath and pour oil in i think something like 3300ml for my gsf. also helps if the engine is warm before you start this so oil drains out easier (warm not hot! don't have it run to long)

Brake pads aren't to bad, more annoying on bandits as the pins sometiems seize :D But if you're not confident take it to the garage.

this was happening to a friend of mine! he crapped himself and took it straight into a garage only for them to say that he had over lubed his chain and what was dripping down was chain lube that had hit the sprocket casing and melted with the heat and was dripping down and causing a puddle.

The service price I was quoted was £150 and that includes oil & filter, brake service (Which they said they would put my pads in if I brought them along), spark plug inspection and a "26 point visual health check". They told me they would not carry out any additional work without consulting me first.

That price sounds pretty fair to be honest, l think in your case that's the way l would go. Doing a service without stands and the right tools is not easy even for experienced one's amongst us. Get it booked in and ask if you can watch over the service, they might just let you? Tell them is just to gain a bit of knowledge of what to look out for in the future - safety check wise. Do that rather that than learn by mistakes.

Ok, so I've got the side off and looking at the bottle from the top/side you can see it a little and confirm with a little wiggle of the bike. Here's a pic from the front:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/001_zpsmtlqbooy.jpg

I found the markings which were underneath.. but I couldn't see where the coolant level was at all. When I wiggled the bike again, I could see it high up on the corner of the bottle, which I image in above the upper line.. however I held the bike up and asked my brother t have a look and he couldn't see the level either. (As useful as a chocolate teapot.)

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/007_zps0qlxuvbi.jpg

Whilst I had the side off I thought I might as well have a look at the air filter. Looked clean:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/012_zps0migptex.jpg

One thing that springs out to me is the spark plug "inspection"

I have never known anyone to inspect plugs as part of a service! They either replace them or leave them

I would get new plugs put in if they are inspecting the old ones it should only cost you the price of the plugs

P's

That expansion bottle is too full

Its not a major problem and you don't have to drain it if you leave it the bike will just piss its pants every time you stop until the level drops

That price sounds pretty fair to be honest, l think in your case that's the way l would go. Doing a service without stands and the right tools is not easy even for experienced one's amongst us. Get it booked in and ask if you can watch over the service, they might just let you? Tell them is just to gain a bit of knowledge of what to look out for in the future - safety check wise. Do that rather that than learn by mistakes.

It's from Wheels in Peterborough, they said I could wait in their comfy waiting room but I wonder if they would let me watch.. I think they are a very busy place. I read in my service manual that I have that apparently the oil drain should be done on the side side which is handy for in future. I really only want to get it properly done this one time then try and do it myself in future. I'm just a little worried about the cost if they find anything else that needs doing as I don't have much - but as I say, they said they wouldn't carry anything out without my say. So I might just go for it...

P's

That expansion bottle is too full

Its not a major problem and you don't have to drain it if you leave it the bike will just piss its pants every time you stop until the level drops

This is a relief to me, I was worried all last night thinking it could be something really sinister from all the reading up I've been doing - So HOPEFULLY that's the culprit. I'll just keep an eye on it then :)

The previous owner worked in a parts shop and he told me (And i've got the receipt) that he's put all new NGK iridium spark plugs in it not long ago - so I'd assume they'll be ok still?

Edited by MissBex

Hi, as Stu say's, the plugs will be fine so tick that one off, If you have a bike pump or syringe you can use that to draw out some of the excessive water form the expansion bottle rather than trying to syphon it out "it taste nasty lol". Put the hose from the bike pump or syringe into the bottle draw the water out until you get the correct level on a cold engine please. I would sooner see the level correct rather than run the risk of cooling water getting onto your tyres.