polite drivers

mealexme

Has anyone else noticed polite drivers recently?

I remember last year drivers actively trying to run me off the road whilst filtering or whilst trying to overtake people doing 50, they'd try and force me into the hedge. Hell, I even remember an oncoming car moving into my lane when he saw me, let alone the amount of people pulling out on roundabouts.

The past few days though, I've had people stop at roundabouts and wait for me, even though they had plenty of time to go, flash their lights and "thank" me with a wave of their hand when I've adjusted my speed when I realised an oncoming car slowing down to turn in front of me.

I even caught up with a slow driver on some twisties and he put on his breaks, indicated left and pulled in enough to let me pass with ease.

Maybe its just because its sunny, so everyone is happy.

I'm not sure it will last

Ridden From Nottingham to Cromer and back this weekend and the folk in Norfolk all seemed to pull over to the left to let me past...loved it and thanked each and everyone with a raise of the hand as I passed :)

Yeah I'm getting lots of people pulling to the left and waving me past :) but then you get the people who flash you from 100's of yards away when overtaking...

Must agree, they have been fantastic today!

Most people at least tried to move over, several actually flashed their indicators to let me know to go as well! apart from the moron trying to race me in the subaru it was cracking!

Maybe all the think bike adverts are finally working?

Can't comment on the attitude of others when over taking as I think today was the first time I ever actually managed to overtake anyone, but that was a learner doing 20-25mph in a 30mph zone so felt safer to overtake than sit behind.. not sure if that counts :lol:

As for attitude in general I think the roads I use are often sadly combined with cagers that must have slipped someone a tenner to get their pass certificate, however did have someone change lanes to let me past yesterday when (I assume) they saw me building up speed behind them although at the time I read it as I was going to fast and that's why they moved so didn't say thanks (oops) :roll:

I agree in the most part lots of friendly cagers out there at the moment moving over etc.

However i do have to comment about the guy in the silver audi who obviously didnt like the fact i cut out half an hour of traffic by filtering, when i pulled away at the lights he did his best to sit as close as he could and he even beeped at me at the next set of lights i left enough room so he could pull along side and calmly asked if he was okay?

I wont post what he said as it wasnt very nice, i just calmly accepyed it said ok, then fecked off into the distance. (although karma got me later with a puncture) :x

Yep two today. First guy coming the opposite way flashed his headlights to warn us of a scamera van on the way to Willey woods and the second a Range Rover that pulled over to let us past on the way to Mablethorpe. :D

Ridden From Nottingham to Cromer and back this weekend and the folk in Norfolk all seemed to pull over to the left to let me past...loved it and thanked each and everyone with a raise of the hand as I passed :)

It's probably going to be a shock to me when I take a trip outside of Norfolk then! 99% of cars move over for me and I've always done the same when in the car (you may have been one of them this weekend!)....I assumed most places were the same!?

99.9% of drivers are nice people. 10% are incompetent but nice. 0.1% are dickheads. unfortunately, it's the 0.1% that ruin it for everyone.

I met one this morning who was adamant that i shouldn't merge in and closed the gap with the car in front. After a couple of tries of merging as safely as i could, i gave up and merged in behind - where the chap behind had left a nice large gap (because he wasn't a dick).

But then I'm a filthy cager at the moment until I can get the finances together for my SV1000 :). Just one more debt to pay off and a couple of grand to save up before I buy one - will probably wait until the weather turns a bit yacky at the end of summer.

Motorcyclists always complain about car drivers... I don't really understand it. I got cut up today, majorly... Just went on my way and continued listening to Bob Marley.

The more you concern yourself with other people's attitude on the road, the less you concentrate on their behaviors :)

Always have in your head how difficult we are to see and oversights do happen. We all make mistakes so just be polite at all times, even when cut up :)

Some arse decided to flick a finger at me today on a roundabout where I had right of way, I anticipated him not stopping at the white line and slowed down just in case... And up popped his middle finger as if it was my fault! Knob!

He did cross the white line by about 4 feet [emoji35]

I've had a fair few lately.

I've had far more people moving over and letting me in gaps etc than I've had trying to be blocking t***s.

I think it's because anything negative always sticks out more so than the positive stuff that happens so you always hear the worst.

People move out my way pretty sharpish, not sure why. I think maybe they see a black bike with rider all in black with black visor looming up behind pretty quickly and their first instinct seems to pull out the way, even if they dont need to. I always wave to say thanks ;)