Need advice please guys

Jackroutledge92

Started stripping down the bike to give it a real good clean and it's way worse than I imagined... can I use paraffin as a degreaser all over the bike I e on the frame Swingarm around my pegs and brackets etc etc? It's really thick of black gunk but don't want to use paraffin for my bike to burst into flames when it's rode?

Tried to upload pics but they're too large

I don't know if this is what other would advise but personally I wouldn't want to use parafin.

When I first bought my bike it was a little greasy so I used a cheap, as in £1 shop cheap, spray bottle of kitchen degreaser (Mr Muscle type of thing). I found that it was strong enough to clear the grease once I had used and old clothe to remove the bulk.

Your bike might be too greasy for that though. Give it a try.

I've used muck-off before to sort mine out it's fairly cheap and lasts a while sorted mine out last time and the xj600 out when i first got that :)

Nah - carb cleaner is the business. It dissolves any amount of shit and has a really strong spray on it.

BANG - and the dirt is gone. :booty:

Can this be used on wheels fro-man?

I probably wouldn't use carb cleaner on wheels that have been painted or powdercoated as the acids could damage the finish. That said if you use it to get a stain off, and then clean it normally you should be ok I imagine :)

I use it on loads of stuff. I did have a problem with it wrinkling up vinyl lettering (hence why the track bike is now a Kawaski) but it's been fine on everything else. When I've been buggering about in the engine and get loads of oily/greasy hand marks over the fairing I tend to give them a blast with the carb cleaner and a bit of a wipe to spruce them up.*

*Test on inconspicuous area first. :-)

Thanks for all your replies! Unfortunately I had none of the above so went with a toothbrush and paraffin it's working a treat coming up cleaner than I imagined although from my first post I have only done one side of rear frame the Swingarm and sprocket etc on chain side... I've never seen so much gunk in my life it's easily a cm thick! Stopped for a swift tab break and crack open a can (well deserved) and now about to start on the other side... I'm hoping that as long as I wipe it down thoroughly and then give a good clean with some car shampoo and rinse off and polish it should be ok using paraffin... could well end up a 2 day job though :shock: