I've just found my bike has an aftermarket USB socket installed.

There is a switch to turn it off and on under the pillion seat.

The switch is wired into the battery.

Before I found out what the switch powered, I messed with it. Left my bike a week and the battery was drained.

Should I leave the USB powered or turned off, as I'm not sure which one drains the battery

As funinacup says, off (when you're not using the socket).

It'll be the voltage regulator that runs down the battery, converting 12V down to 5V for the USB.

I'll leave it off for now but might look into moving the wiring, so the ignition turns it off.

Does anyone use these to charge devices whilst riding? or is it more of a once you've stopped thing to use?

I'll leave it off for now but might look into moving the wiring, so the ignition turns it off.

Does anyone use these to charge devices whilst riding? or is it more of a once you've stopped thing to use?

I use mine for running my Phone/Navigation.

Nip it in to the side light wiring - it's often the easiest bit of wiring to access and the current draw is pretty low so you shouldn't have any problems.

Ive used it to keep my iPad charged when touring,, though mine probably isn't as fancy as yours seems to be, Ive left mine plugged in - with the iPad connected to it overnight and it had no effect on the battery. the USB I use is just a simple plug that goes into the DIN power socket - which is permanently 'live'.

http://i.imgur.com/cXSdzJsl.jpg

I'm just concerned as to if it looks a bit moist out, that it cant be used, in fairness though I tend to only ride when its dry, but its something I've thought about

I think Ultimateaddons do a waterproof USB thingy.

I use an oxford one and have it facing down so any water runs off not into it. I only use it for my satnav when riding. I actually installed mine by slaving it onto my horn :D

I've had a quick look at phone holders for the bike, but they dont leave much room for the cable to charge it whilst riding.

Might think about getting a tank bag, with the clear pouch on the top so I can see the phone.

Cheers for the update, I hadn't thought of that.

Id use it more for long rides out, somewhere new or when I go for a weekender on the bike.

So hopefully that shouldn't scratch it too much

• 1 month later...

Finally had a long day out riding the bike, but noticed an issue with the USB socket.

When Ive plugged my phone in, it appears to show its charging my phone. But alas it isn't.

After 90 mins riding my battery had infact depleted slightly. so I then though fair do's it must be coz

its trying to get a signal, so i set it in flight mode and carried on for another 90 minutes, it had depleted even more.

Does this sound like a dodgy socket or dodgy wiring?

For a few quid you can but an inline volt/current meter. I've got one that I use for testing USB outputs.

The USB installed on my bike runs at 5.2volts and I've seen it supplying nearly 2amps to a phone and camera. It's rated at 3amps which is higher than the USB specification but ideal if you want to run multiple devices. I have some photos I'll dig out.

My phone draws quite a high amp (galaxy note) and I found I had to shop around as a lot of the chargers only had half the power supply I needed. Presumably you have the cheapo one fitted. Not that mine was expensive, it was like 4 quid extra.

What phone is it?

My bet is that your phone thinks it's charging at USB rate (as of your computer) check this by looking at the charging info on the phone.

You can either spend cash on another lead and/or charger or stick a tiny bit of foil over the inner two contacts on the bigger end of your USB cable. Your phone will recognise this as AC charging (as from a wall socket) and allow a higher charging current draw.