Help with tarting up my dad's old bird please :D

BikerMooFromMars

So my old man is asking for something a bit different this birthday - to sort his old bird out! My dad is into toucans, I'm into cows! He bought this Toucan years ago and had it re-painted by a friend who then coated it in yacht varnish. He stuck up in his garden and has been there about 8years, pride of place bursting out of the wall! Very open to the elements as you can see:

1923386_13112885509_2480_n.jpg.8d1ee3153e77d85ff593d830bc1cd7b6.jpg

11356281_1575186899416164_666345240_n.jpg.4304d599f3366671a17ceec229030d13.jpg

1923386_13112880509_2123_n.jpg.5c397ef8afa00614f719ae55b4715e93.jpg

From my experience with a Reliant Scimitar... :roll:

*Insert normal preparation advice* then make sure you use a proper fibreglass primer or it'll just come off (epoxy primer is good).

Dark colours tend to crack and craze far more than lighter colours because fibreglass is quite heat sensitive.

If you're going to mark out your design on the bird, do it in pencil as ink can seep in to the fibre and be a right git to get rid of.

From my experience with a Reliant Scimitar... :roll:

*Insert normal preparation advice* then make sure you use a proper fibreglass primer or it'll just come off (epoxy primer is good).

Dark colours tend to crack and craze far more than lighter colours because fibreglass is quite heat sensitive.

If you're going to mark out your design on the bird, do it in pencil as ink can seep in to the fibre and be a right git to get rid of.

I had to Google that - that is one sexy car! Hehe :D

Awesome thanks - looked into it a bit this morning, looks like primer you paint on is more recommended, will see if I can get hold of epoxy...need to get started on it soon! Read that you can use pretty much any kind of paint on it...I really thought acylics might run though. Wonder if I can use household/wall paints? I only need black and white...

...Looking forward to getting started on it! :mrgreen:

what ever colour you paint it the yellow beak has to stay makes the Guinness stand out better then and im sure if you google old adverts it will pop up somewhere

Yeah, it just won't go with their new nicely done-up garden is the problem. I'm gonna paint it black/grey/white first - if he likes it I'll varnish it, if he realises colour is better I'll just re-paint those parts methinks :thumb: . I'm not sure atm...I might change my mind when I go to buy the paints :mrgreen:

Need to try to find Guinness stickers for the pint glasses! It's a fun project at least, better than buying him something random he might not like or want! 8-)