Gor-Tex Textiles - I'm confused

Some Gor-Tex clothing state that they have a membrane and others have a detachable part that sits in between the outer shell and the winter quilting part.

Which is the best option, or do they offer the same waterproofing?

Can anyone explain the Pro's & Con's of both options please?

Some Gor-Tex clothing state that they have a membrane and others have a detachable part that sits in between the outer shell and the winter quilting part.

Which is the best option, or do they offer the same waterproofing?

Can anyone explain the Pro's & Con's of both options please?

there are two types.

the cheaper type is removable.. this is particularly useful in hot weather when you can guarantee you're not going to get rained on. simply unzip the liner and keep it safe.

the other type has the membrane bonded to the outer shell.. so, when rain hits that it runs off, its not absorbed. and you don't get wet.

The first is I reckon best for 3/4 season clothing.. so you have the option to remove it and be cooler in the warmest weather. the vents may not be completely waterproof, but that doesn't matter as the goretex membrane will stop any water getting through to your under layers.

the second is probably best for autumn, winter and spring and those less hot summer days. The top rated jackets tend to be bonded.. but many of the genuine 4 season types will also have vents that can be opened. but when closed are completely waterproof. this comes at a cost though.

Thanks for that Shorty.

I'm seriously considering the Rukka gear and really didn't know which way to go.

I will look at the removable liner mid range and if I see the fixed in my price range then it's a bonus.

I was just concerned with leakage around the cuff area on the removable lined gear.

Thanks for that Shorty.

I'm seriously considering the Rukka gear and really didn't know which way to go.

I will look at the removable liner mid range and if I see the fixed in my price range then it's a bonus.

I was just concerned with leakage around the cuff area on the removable lined gear.

Rukka have it sorted, they do gear for all the various seasons. so if, for instance you never ride in winter then go for gear thats not set up specifically for winter riding. If the jacket/trousers have a removable membrane then thats so you're more comfortable in the warmest weather. how you wear the jacket in particular is important. for instance Rukka tell you how you should wear your gloves. inside or outside. its important to follow their advice. if you're thinking about september.. then frost wont be an issue. at worst there will be cooler mornings but nowhere near 'freezing'. It could easily turn hot. We'll have a good idea of the weather every day.. at least someone in the group will have internet so we can check the forecast. so, on average the weather will range from 10c to 24c. Its still summer, but like I say mornings can be cool. we're fairly high up. if it starts cool and then heats up.. we can ver easily just stop and remove a few layers. no problem at all.

its highly likely we'll pay at least a flying visit to FC Moto... thats if people want to go.