LED indicator issues ...

Phooey

... so, here I am helping the WonderAve with his LED indicator problems and what we have is this:

With the inline resistors in place (connected at the front indicator positions - one on each side) and the old relay the indicators light brightly but do not flash.

With the new relay, the one supplied with the kit, the indicators do not even light up

Taking the resistors away, with the old relay, all four indicator light but when signalling left the left two are sightly brighter than the right two and when signalling right, the right two are slightly brighter than the left two.

No resistors and the new relay, we get a very faint but very quick single flash of the relevant indicator.

I have exhausted all of my knowledge trying to get them to work ... now I need your thoughts.

The resistors have two wires coming from each end so I assumed that this is just wiring as if in series. I wondered they are the correct ones though and if they should be wired in parrallel.

http://www.bikenation.co.uk/randg-micro ... Ajzh8P8HAQ

This is what WonderAve bought although the wires come from each end and not as in photo. Can't see or tell what ohm they are!

Just wondering ... should we have one resistor for each side or for each indicator? A lot of the ebay listings sell them in fours!

Also, are we correct in thinking that either the resistors OR the relay is required but not necessarily both?

Pretty sure they should go in parallel

Ohms is irrelevant its the watts that make the difference

If stock the bulbs are 20 watt each and the led are say 10 then you need 10 watt resistors

Pretty sure they should go in parallel

Going to avoid the resistor. Try to solve it with a relay.

Ohms is irrelevant its the watts that make the difference

Don't let Watson hear you say that!

If stock the bulbs are 20 watt each and the led are say 10 then you need 10 watt resistors

Found a shop who stocks a relay will go buy it and see what that does.

Some progress ... we rode off and bought another relay and connected it. The result was flashing indicators but all four regardless of the position of the switch. Off no flash ... left or right selected resulted in hazard lights!

Thanks, Stu. Just had a brain wave and took the dash light out. Working now so I guess, on another day, I could try fitting a diode between the bulb and the switch.

It's been a crasy day with these bloody indicators. :cheers: all :D

Confusing what?

As an Electronics Engineer maybe I can add some advice?

The fact that the system works OK when the 'dash' bulb is removed will be due to the bulb haveing too LOW a resistance and effectively being in parallel with the indicator feed, the majority of the current is going down this path.

The introduction of LED indicators is a bit of a 'balancing act' with regard to the current drawn - There is a need to reduce the current to each pair of indicators (left / right) in order to enable the 'flasher' circuit to operate correctly. This is normally achieved by introducing resistance into the feed to the indicator pairs.

Some of the 'better' systems have a seperate feed to the 'dash' indicator but most will require you to 'balance' this feed also. Again, this can be done by adding resistance in this feed but, it is more difficult to match the circuit requirement. An 'easier' option is to replace this bulb with a high resistance LED (of the correct voltage) which will reduce the current flow and allow the circuit to operate correctly.

The resistors you show in your picture have two wires from each end - These are for BOTH LED indicators (i.e. Front is one wire from each end and Rear is one wire from each end (one resistor for right indicators and one for left indicators).

Hopefully this now makes sense?

:cheers:

Confusing what?

As an Electronics Engineer maybe I can add some advice?

The fact that the system works OK when the 'dash' bulb is removed will be due to the bulb haveing too LOW a resistance and effectively being in parallel with the indicator feed, the majority of the current is going down this path.

The introduction of LED indicators is a bit of a 'balancing act' with regard to the current drawn - There is a need to reduce the current to each pair of indicators (left / right) in order to enable the 'flasher' circuit to operate correctly. This is normally achieved by introducing resistance into the feed to the indicator pairs.

Some of the 'better' systems have a seperate feed to the 'dash' indicator but most will require you to 'balance' this feed also. Again, this can be done by adding resistance in this feed but, it is more difficult to match the circuit requirement. An 'easier' option is to replace this bulb with a high resistance LED (of the correct voltage) which will reduce the current flow and allow the circuit to operate correctly.

The resistors you show in your picture have two wires from each end - These are for BOTH LED indicators (i.e. Front is one wire from each end and Rear is one wire from each end (one resistor for right indicators and one for left indicators).

Hopefully this now makes sense?

:cheers:

Thanks GOG ... appreciate your insight.