bike runs on a bump start for seconds but then dies

TESS 01

BUMP, start, runs, revs then stalls

SUZUKI TS185 70'S MODEL THANKS

ps oh and carb was cleaned by a classic bike garage. will start but open the throttle and then dies, lean? or too strong

ps oh and carb was cleaned by a classic bike garage. will start but open the throttle and then dies, lean? or too strong

Sounds lean as you are cutting out when air is introduced.

Sounds lean as you are cutting out when air is introduced.

cheers mate, that's what i thought trouble is i mukini or SOMETHING LIKE THAT carburetor, so is it the bigger screw for the mixture or the smaller? waiting on ma manual so don't have a clue yet lol

Neither.

Firstly, check that the carb is properly seated and that there are no air leaks. To check for leaks, start the bike and let it idle then spray a bit of carb cleaner/WD40/Easy Start/similar around the carb mounting point (not in the carb). If the revs pick up you have a leak.

If the revs stay the same and it still won't rev then turn the idle screw until it's fully in (don't screw it hard - just so it stops turning) then turn it back out 2 full turns. Start it up and see if it revs. If it dies, turn the idle screw out 1/4 of a turn then try reving it again. If it dies, give it a 1/4 turn out and repeat to a max of 2 more full turns out.

If you don't have any luck, return the screw to 2 turns out and this time screw it in 1/4 turn each time.

Let us know how it goes. :-)

Neither.

Firstly, check that the carb is properly seated and that there are no air leaks. To check for leaks, start the bike and let it idle then spray a bit of carb cleaner/WD40/Easy Start/similar around the carb mounting point (not in the carb). If the revs pick up you have a leak.

If the revs stay the same and it still won't rev then turn the idle screw until it's fully in (don't screw it hard - just so it stops turning) then turn it back out 2 full turns. Start it up and see if it revs. If it dies, turn the idle screw out 1/4 of a turn then try reving it again. If it dies, give it a 1/4 turn out and repeat to a max of 2 more full turns out.

If you don't have any luck, return the screw to 2 turns out and this time screw it in 1/4 turn each time.

Let us know how it goes. :-)

cheers mate, problem is it won't idle i will bump then it will run well ish spitting and coughing then die i think idle and mixture what do you think just to clarify? lol but i will try tomorrow :)

As froman says about checking hoses and connections first.

It is running lean, for sure... but that doesn't mean the carburetor needs adjusting yet, it just means too much air is getting in and not enough fuel. Adjusting the fuel mixture screw is the last thing you want to do...

If you have a poor spark, you will be running lean. If you loose jubilee clip on your carb attachment, you will run lean and then there's vacuums... Go over everything, make sure it's all connected where it should be, pull your plugs and get the condition of them, look at your coils and test them, check the calibration of the carbs, they might be out. You might need to replace a clogged fuel filter if you've used it a lot down to the bear minimum of the tank, or perhaps you have a poor fuel pump... but if all of those are good... then I might be thinking about the fuel screw.

Basically, start by checking everything on the bike ;)

As froman says about checking hoses and connections first.

It is running lean, for sure... but that doesn't mean the carburetor needs adjusting yet, it just means too much air is getting in and not enough fuel. Adjusting the fuel mixture screw is the last thing you want to do...

If you have a poor spark, you will be running lean. If you loose jubilee clip on your carb attachment, you will run lean and then there's vacuums... Go over everything, make sure it's all connected where it should be, pull your plugs and get the condition of them, look at your coils and test them, check the calibration of the carbs, they might be out. You might need to replace a clogged fuel filter if you've used it a lot down to the bear minimum of the tank, or perhaps you have a poor fuel pump... but if all of those are good... then I might be thinking about the fuel screw.

Basically, start by checking everything on the bike ;)

it will start run as long as the bike is being bumped, spark is great (NEW PLUG) and good coil old but good, i wounder if when the carb got cleaned the guy took the screws out?? and everything only slightly off??

By all means check out all the above but I would also check the state of the air filter, has it got one? if it is missing or has been modded at some point the bike will run lean

Could be a fuel supply problem also. If you take the fuel pipe off of the carb and turn the tap on, do you get a good, constant flow of fuel? If not, try checking the pipes/fuel tap for blockages. Some taps have a gauze mesh filter and if the bike has been standing for some time it may be blocked with rust from the tank.

only on a push, i do need a air filter and air box, the carb was cleaned by a motorcycle shop, when i got it back after fitting it was rough only on a push. I phoned the boy today who also has ts's he restores them he said the air mix screw turn it all the way and undo by two turns, but now wont even start on a bump?? :scratch: