giving up smoking

Guest petrolhead1989

As the title says..

Im 25 years old, been smoking since i was 14.. so 11 years, nearly 12..

and now ive decided to give up.. Starting today

So DAY 1.

Got an E-cig, with blueberry liquid..

Lets see how it goes :D

Got an E-cig, with blueberry liquid..

Lets see how it goes :D

Not given up then have you!

:mrgreen:

better for me though :booty:

Plus, the misus prefers me tasting of blueberry than smoke, as she has never touched a fag in her life..

i found it easier to just stop when i gave up i tried all sorts of things to help in the end i just put a cigarette out one night and said thats it ive stopped smoking,i was on 20+ a day untill that evening i still had half a packet left which i gave away and not touched one in the 4 1/2 years since putting the last one out didnt use any artificial help at all

I quit 5 years ago, used patches and lozenges as well as the group sessions through the NHS (Cheesy i know) but it worked for me.

Im 43 now and smoked from the age of 14 to 38 and i have never looked back, The money alone made it all worthwhile but the health benefits are amazing.

However, if you are vaping your are just masking the issue and you are still addicted to nicotine.

Good luck!

I quit 5 years ago, used patches and lozenges as well as the group sessions through the NHS (Cheesy i know) but it worked for me.

Im 43 now and smoked from the age of 14 to 38 and i have never looked back, The money alone made it all worthwhile but the health benefits are amazing.

However, if you are vaping your are just masking the issue and you are still addicted to nicotine.

Good luck!

Yeah i know, But the addiction to nicotine isnt my issue, as its not nicotine that does your body harm, its the tar.

I just want to be a more healthier person, and like i originally said.. my misus has never smoked, so she is currently liking being able to kiss me, instead of a dirty ashtray :lol:

I gave up 5 years back. I started by setting small goals, and I mean hourly goals. Lunch to tea break, tea break to home time etc.

The first few weeks were the hardest and I almost faltered. I got as far as rolling one and putting it in my mouth. Your brain is saying "just one won't hurt" but you know as well as I that if I have that one then it's starting all over again.

It's a huge mind battle and I'd never want to go through it again.

Be strong and good luck

Thanks mate.

Ive been told that using the vapour sticks in public is also banned??

like pubs, restaurants etc!!

is this true? because its just water vapour from the liquids that you exhale..

another good point about using one of these, was that i could still "smoke", whilst in the car, with my kids,

as the exhaled smoke is just water vapour and not harmful to children..

Thanks mate.

Ive been told that using the vapour sticks in public is also banned??

like pubs, restaurants etc!!

is this true? because its just water vapour from the liquids that you exhale..

another good point about using one of these, was that i could still "smoke", whilst in the car, with my kids,

as the exhaled smoke is just water vapour and not harmful to children..

Depends on the venue. Not illegal but a lot of places now ban it.

Also watch for - over smoking the e cig...you end up having 60 or 80 a day equivalent as it tastes nice.

People at work say you have to buy the good liquid as the cheap stuff has all sorts in it (?) Guess that goes for everything really.

Might be better than smoking but still suspected to cause respiratory issues!

Best of luck.

One day at a time, put some money away for a treat to reward yourself.

Try to change your routines, wash your hands with perfumed soap and smell your fingers that you use to hold your cig with (mad but try it)

Do breathing exercises and feel your lungs and chest getting better.

Don't be surprised if you feel like shit and cough up loads of crap. its your body cleaning itself.

The first 24 hours are the body craving having that its just habit.

If you crack and have one, don't despair its just a blip carry on where you left off.

Good luck to you! I stopped smoking 14 years ago, that was long before e-cigarettes. I smoked 10-20 per day and one day just went cold turkey. It was pretty awful for 4 weeks solid, but then one day the craving just left me completely (like someone had flicked a switch) and today I don't even like the smell of smoke.

DAY 1 (yesterday), perfectly fine, didnt want a cigarette at all, even gave my freshly opened pouch of tobacco to my friend.

Was using Blueberry flavoured liquid with 16mg of Nicotine.

DAY 2 (today), Woke up not even with a craving, Where as, a cigarette was the first thing i needing in the morning before i could function properly..

Woke up at 5.20 this morning, all fine, Cup of tea first, then 5 puffs on my E-cig, that was enough..

Postman came with my new bottles of liquids to try..

Of course, one of them was Cola flavoured, since i drink alot of Coca Cola...

the Cola liquid is 10mg of nicotine, so today has been focusing on not using the e-cig too much, going to lower my nicotine levels slowly, until i hit 0.. then, i will no longer require the e-cig.. :D

So yesterday was fine on 16mg liquid, (in average roll-up of amber leaf backy, that i normally smoked, there is aprox 18mg of nictone), so started on a 16mg liquid, and today, ive been fine on 10mg (10 microgram).

so far so good :D

really liking the Cola flavoured liquid :D

UPDATE:

DAY 2 went very well.. Not even the urge to have a cigarette :D

Even while i met my little sister at the pub, and was surrounded by smokers :D

Moving down from a 16mg to a 10mg, in just my 2nd day, was fine, mainly used my e-cig for enjoyment, tasting Tutti Fruity

liquid, rather than, because i need it...

Thats 2 days solid so far, onto my 3rd :D

And on a positive note.. Really enjoying Vaping... And im shocked.. Vaping is actually quite a popular thing, even for people

that dont smoke...

Mainly people get together and vape out a room full of smoke.. Big lame, But whatever floats their boat, or sinks their submarine i guess..

But yeah, really liking vaping :D

My misus has really commented on how nice it is to cuddle upto me now that i dont smell of fags, :D

so win win win..

3rd day now.. easy peasy :D

(i am incredibly proud of myself so far, I used to smoke MANY fags a day, Could smoke an entire 25g pouch of tobacco on a good day).

UPDATE:

DAY 2 went very well.. Not even the urge to have a cigarette :D

Even while i met my little sister at the pub, and was surrounded by smokers :D

Moving down from a 16mg to a 10mg, in just my 2nd day, was fine, mainly used my e-cig for enjoyment, tasting Tutti Fruity

liquid, rather than, because i need it...

Thats 2 days solid so far, onto my 3rd :D

And on a positive note.. Really enjoying Vaping... And im shocked.. Vaping is actually quite a popular thing, even for people

that dont smoke...

Mainly people get together and vape out a room full of smoke.. Big lame, But whatever floats their boat, or sinks their submarine i guess..

But yeah, really liking vaping :D

My misus has really commented on how nice it is to cuddle upto me now that i dont smell of fags, :D

so win win win..

3rd day now.. easy peasy :D

(i am incredibly proud of myself so far, I used to smoke MANY fags a day, Could smoke an entire 25g pouch of tobacco on a good day).

leads to babies if not very careful but well done so far keep it up

well done! i wish they had e-cigs when i quit. i might not have had so many false starts!

I quit in 2007. i gave myself 3 reasons to quit. money. wife. health. As i said - i had a few false starts. smoked a few while playing golf, a few while at work and a few on long motorway journeys. Then i smoked one one day and threw up all over. I've not touched one since! I will have the very occasional cigar. my last cigar was 3 years ago.

Stick with it. it's great not smoking. you don't miss conversations because you're always outside. you don't miss parts of the gig because you're on the smoking balcony. you don't have to sit in the smoking area in gatwick (which is very depressing!)

Well done and keep it up!

Thanks bud, Apreciate your kind words..

Woke up this morning.. REALLY NEEDING A FAG!!!

i really dont know why..

the first 3 days were perfectly fine, didnt even think about having one, was perfectly happy puffing on my vape..

but this morning!!! wow, cravings like a bitch, and my vape dont seam to be cutting it :lol:

Hopped up to the 16mg nicotine liquid this morning, to try and take that edge away,

but i seam to be sitting here chain vaping!.

im not giving in though.

i want to give up for the main reason of health, As i have heart issues from birth, but also because of my misus and kids..

it cant be nice for them to smell it on me all the time..

All in all, i feel much better in myself, It has helped my breathing tremendously, As im normally a heavy breather after smoking fags.. But feels like a fresh set of lungs now..

the only side effect of this vape, it gives me terrible hiccups haha...

they say the bad days come inlike the 3rd or 4th day then drifts off again untill the 3rd or 4th week then drifts off again untill 3rd or 4th month each time normally just a one day craving i didnt bother with vaping or anything just went cold turkey i found that was the best way and keep a pencil nearby to twiddle about in your fingers when the craving hits

Well done for quitting and something to be proud of!

I don't mean to put a downer on it but try and ween yourself of the e-cig as soon as possible. Research has shown that e-cigs can still have a negative impact on your respiratory system and you're still more susceptible to respiratory infections. Some liquids also contains free radical toxins similar to those found in cigarette smoke and air pollution, albeit at a much, much lower percentage.

If you're going to vape, don't buy cheap shit and ween off it. I tried vaping to quit smoking and I ended up going cold turkey as I didn't like the fruity flavors and the 'tobacco' flavors tasted like potato peel. :scratch:

Good luck though pal!

Well done for quitting and something to be proud of!

I don't mean to put a downer on it but try and ween yourself of the e-cig as soon as possible. Research has shown that e-cigs can still have a negative impact on your respiratory system and you're still more susceptible to respiratory infections. Some liquids also contains free radical toxins similar to those found in cigarette smoke and air pollution, albeit at a much, much lower percentage.

If you're going to vape, don't buy cheap shit and ween off it. I tried vaping to quit smoking and I ended up going cold turkey as I didn't like the fruity flavors and the 'tobacco' flavors tasted like potato peel. :scratch:

Good luck though pal!

thanks mate.

Yeah i use good brand liquids, and am slowly cutting down on the nicotine levels.

I am also using VG based liquids, Vegetable gycol. as its better for you than PG..

Well its been a week today, the longest week in the world mind :lol:

but im doing fine :D

I've tried to quit many times and have managed more than a year away from the things on a few occasions now, but the biggest downfall has never been the nicotine addiction - it's always breaking the associations that I struggle with. In my old retail job I would go for a cigarette when I needed a break and didn't want to be dragged back into the shop, so I developed a connection between being stressed and smoking. Once that job finally ended I managed to stay off them for a year, until something else stressful came along and got me back on them again. Sort of broke the stress association around that time, but only because it gradually transformed into an association with being apocalyptically angry :roll:

So now every time the red mist comes down I suddenly have an absolutely overwhelming desire for a cigarette, irrespective of how long it's been since the last one. Normally I'm not too bad at keeping my temper at bay, but lately I've had certain things set me off more than usual and so I've been falling off the wagon with the odd cigarette every few days. :evil: