History in Kent

Mr Fro

Hi guys,

Just wanted to bring a bit of notice to the WW2 stuff that's being opened up along the coast in Kent.

The Urbex scene is really strong in the area - exploring loads of the old shelters and military installations and it's great to see them finally, one by one, be opened up to the public.

Last year the Ramsgate tunnels were opened Ramsgate Tunnel Project and this year it's Fan Bay in Dover Fan Bay Deep Shelter

I had to crawl about to find and access these in years past and can't recommend them highly enough, they are well worth a visit if you're in the area, especially as you can get in there in a somewhat more civilised manner now. :-)

Fan Bay:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/20100619_St%20Margrets%20Deep%20Shelter/IMG_0986.jpg

Ramsgate Tunnels:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/20100716_Ramsgate%20Tunnels/IMG_4422.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/20100606_Ramsgate%20Tunnels/IMG_0909.jpg

Looks cool and not far from me.

Wonder what it is about big tunnels that fascinates us??

That's no way to talk about my wife!!

on a serious note, I saw these on the news yesterday. I'd really love to visit them if I'm in the area one day.

I do wonder how many beautiful structures are hidden away - and have been a follower of urbex for some time, although never actually visited a site.

I dunno what the attraction is Joeman, I've liked underground stuff for as long as I can remember.

There's plenty of bits and bobs in your neck of the woods too. :-)

Not a big fan of being underground :lol:

Got pranked as a kid, and then when I explored bunker drain in the north west, I spent the entire 3 mile trek worrying and one time the level did go from 5 inches to 5 feet in a matter of seconds and the water was travelling very fast.

I'm a high place person myself, something seems more controllable about being up high :lol:

what was the purpose of these tunnels please?

Fan Bay was a defensive battery over the channel to sink those pesky German boats - there team are in the process of uncovering a couple of sound mirrors at the mo which are extremely unique. The whole system is in extraordinary condition with graffiti from the original engineers and people stationed there. I think they've opened up the plant room which is also in great condition. There are some deep plotting rooms around and other bits about to have a look at too (don't think they're public yet... ;-)).

The Ramsgate tunnels comprise the old Railway tunnel to the seafront and a spur to the old scenic railway. Towards the seafront end, there's the smaller tunnels (second pic) coming off the railway tunnel that are part of an interconnected system that runs all around the town (about 2-3 miles depending which plans you look at - I think they're on my photobucket). These were shelters for the locals and also served as subterranean connections between civic centres.

For more info, click the links. They aren't far from each other so can easily be done in a day and really are worth a look if you're in the area. I'm happy to throw a few pointers for anyone interested in seeing some less public stuff too. ;-)

I gave a load of AV equipment to the Ramsgate project a while back for their interactive section so if a group want to get together for a nosey-poke about, I'll see if we can rig up something a bit better than the standard tour. :-)