Tightening the chain.

Doink

Afternoon guys,

I ride about 400 miles a week on my Varadero 125 and had a new chain fitted as the old one was stretched, I wasn't told to oil it and after about 1000 miles it looked saggy so I took it back to the garage who then told me I should have oiled it regularly!

Had it tightened and have been oiling it every other day (160 miles covered in that time) and the chain is still stretching. Is it a case of I should be oiling it daily, or adjusting it more often?

This is my first bike so I'm really not sure what the process is, I've looked at paddock stands so I can adjust it myself as I'm assuming it's a relatively easy job?

I commute nearly 400 miles per week on my YBR 125. I check daily to see if chain needs lubing. I spray lube the top of bottom bit and sides once or twice a week. I check if chain needs adjusting once a week. I usually adjust it weekly or fortnightly. See if you can get a Haynes manual for your bike. Also google Varadero chain adjustment.

A new chain will stretch from the stress put on it, to begin with it will stretch more than usual so you need to keep an eye on it. It's a simple job to do, YouTube is your best bet all bikes are pretty much the same so you don't need to look for a specific one to your bike.

Just make sure once you've adjusted it that you sit on the bike and check it again (or get someone to help) as you'll add extra tension onto the chain with your weight. You should be checking your chain before every ride, I used to just lift it with my boot as I knew roughy how much it should move from experience, again a visual inspection for lube should be done as well if it looks dry get some spray on it and keep it topped up.

Good luck

Check out the Varadero UK forum Doink, there is loads of info about your bike and also the 1000 (mine) on there. Good choice of bike by the way.

Google Varadero forums, there are a few of them on the 'net. I would have put links to a couple of them, but don't know how to do it from my phone?