Stalling when hot

bmwdave

Hi all you mechanical brainiacs. I have a problem, and as I'm a ride only biker with my garage on speed dial if anything needs fixing, who else can I turn to for advice on a Sunday?

The bike is a BMW1200RT. Its happened occasionally before at the end of a long run, as I let the bike idle, at lights etc, the engine fades away. A bit of throttle as I press the starter and it fires up OK. Today it was worse, several times as I changed down it stalled before I had time to engage a lower gear. Its as if the idle is set too low once its been running for a while - alway happens after at least an hour or two run. Feels very uncomfortable when the engine dies and you're still rolling at 30 or so slowing for a roundabout. Trying to give it some gas and press the starter and brake with one hand is hard, was practically standing on rear brake at times. Not very good just the back brake, is it?

Anyone any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Just Googled the problem you are having bmwdave, it seems to be a built in fault with the 1200rt as there are quite a few people asking the same question. One person reckons it could be the fuel pump controller, whilst another reckons it's to do with one of the exhaust cam profiles? Others are saying BMW are aware of the problem and a remap of the ignition controller (forgot what it's called as I'm tired :D ) should cure it, but it seems to be one of those suck it and see situations I'm afraid.

Someone did mention though (I think trying to understand what he was on about), that if you blip the throttle before you change down it stops the bike cutting out (fuel pump controller again???)

Dunno, but a clutchless downshift would prevent it stalling between gears. Or just let the clutch out an bumpstart it - no need for the starter button.

Have tried this, sometimes it bumpstarts but if not enough speed or wet roads the rear wheel just locks up instead which isnt fun.

Dunno, but a clutchless downshift would prevent it stalling between gears. Or just let the clutch out an bumpstart it - no need for the starter button.

Have tried this, sometimes it bumpstarts but if not enough speed or wet roads the rear wheel just locks up instead which isnt fun.

Stick to the clutchless downshifts then. No chance of a stall then.