Not sure if i can use this road with a provisional

Guest JDM

Hi, this morning was my first time out on the bike on my own since my cbt. i usually get bus into college so the only part of city centre that i know is bus lanes so i used google maps to figure out a way to get into town. i got into college on time and everything was great, dont think i stalled it all on the way in.

the problem is that the route that i use takes me through a part A58(M) that i think is a motorway which i legally cant be on but i cant be sure.

long story short: can i use this road with just a cbt. i use left lane and turn off for city centre as soon as possible

http://screenshooter.net/102444911/ojesskh

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure that's correct. The sign over the road is green which means it is an "A" road, leading to a motorway class road, then just before the A road becomes a motorway there should be a sign advising prohibited vehicle to leave at the next exit.

So presuming the OP leaves on the posted A660 he should be ok.

However if the OP continues onto the A58M that is a no no.

A map of the route would enable a better answer to be given though.

Not sure that's correct. The sign over the road is green which means it is an "A" road, leading to a motorway class road, then just before the A road becomes a motorway there should be a sign advising prohibited vehicle to leave at the next exit.

This I think ^^^

Would be helpful if you can link to google maps for us to check.

he is coming down the a58 clay pit lane heading towards the a58(m) if he goes to the right he will end up on the a58(m) that sign is the last exit

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/A66 ... cc0045795a

Thanks Stu. So as long as he leaves at that junction to the left and carries on along Clay pit road then right onto the A660 to the unis he should be ok.

You shouldn't strictly use it - however the amount of scooters and l plates i see on there - i'd say go for it. while the tunnels are being repaired, it's a 30 limit anyway.

When you initially asked, i was thinking to myself - a58m!!

the other note is I would stay away from that road as it's a bit of a pig. narrow lanes and a huge variance in speed (some doing 20, some 50) will see people jostling for position. coupled with stupidly short slip roads and a general ignorance from most drivers sees this as being a road you should only use when you have plenty of confidence and experience.