My observations about the tests

Hello. I'm new to the forum and passed my module 2 (on the first attempt) this past week. Just hoping I receive my updated licence through the post without errors, as I left it with the examiner and the DVLA has been known to make mistakes. I'm still quite pleased about it, and thought I would type up a few observations based on my experiences of the test process, which may help others who are currently going through the process.

I would say, the tests are all a psychological burden that cause stress out of proportion to what they are really like. Even the theory test can be a bit emo. There is a trick to making this work for you, but in general the tests aren't that hard when you look back on them. They cause more stress than they merit mostly because of the delay in between them, not because of their content... If you could book a test and do it the next day, and only have to wait 10 days before rebooking if you fail, you wouldn't worry about it. As it happens, both my local test centre for theory and my nearest practical test centre were overbooked way in advance. That's probably the situation all over the country.

1) The theory test is easy to prepare for, but you do have to prepare a little for it. This means you can pass it using the latest edition DVSA book, which you will find at your local library, and using your local authority's adult education provision to get a login into a theory test training website where you will find all the questions that might come up, and lots of hazard perception exercises. I think most councils provide some help with driving theory. There's no reason to spend any money. Save the money to spend on riding lessons.

2) I got 100% on the multiple choice part of the theory test. This is much easier than it sounds, because all of the test questions and answers can be learned using free resources.

3) I barely scraped the hazard perception part of the theory test, because I was clicking too early. Generally, if you've been riding on a CBT and have some road experience, it can work against you because the system expects you to click only when the situation has become really £$"%$£% dangerous. So hum 'lalalalala' to yourself and try to create a beery, cricket-spectating frame of mind when you do the hazard perception. You can also practice hazard perception using websites, and I did, but IMO it's better not to be 'good' at it. I practised it but probably shouldn't have done.

4) Module 1 is the hardest part of the whole process, but it's generally just the exercises you did on the CBT, at higher speed and with harder specs (e.g. higher speed). You need to do 3 things: first, take at least one half-day lesson with an instructor you trust. Second, sit at the computer to watch Youtube videos about Mod 1 and download and study the test diagram from the gov website. Third, if you have a 125, find an empty-ish car-park and go there every day for about 2 weeks before the Mod 1, to practise everything you will have to do in Mod 1, including walking the bike and both right- and left-hand approaches to the emergency swerve and stop. Measure out distances like in the diagram. If you don't have a 125 it means you will need more lessons. I think 2 lessons for Mod 1 on a 600 is all you really need, if you have the basics like clutch control, slow control and balance. The bigger bikes are easier in nearly everything on module 1, except for the pushing into the parking slot exercise. Failing Mod 1 is where things start to get disheartening (I failed it the first time), but it isn't a waste of money despite school bike hire because you will never forget what you did wrong. It becomes just another lesson. Mostly it's a nuisance because you have to wait for the next available slot to rebook.

5) Module 2 is easier than Module 1, but the key is to do it all by the book. If you don't have 'the book' to begin with, you're not prepared. I like to prepare for everything, so I found preparation for module 2 a bit more challenging. I found Youtube very useful when it came to finding out the important details the examiner is looking for. I watched those videos many times. Generally, details such as when to use or not use indicators, never missing lifesavers, at what point to respond to changes in speed limit, not swan-necking, not squeezing through, not putting your foot down during the moving-off exercise, etc. But you also need lessons. I would say, about a day and a half riding around with an instructor. There is a difference between the instructor's instructions and the examiner's sheet. The instructor may be stricter on lane positioning and other things, to give the best possible chance of passing. You do NOT need to know the test routes. They are completely irrelevant. But you need to be comfortable in all situations on the road, without having any bad habits. Work on the things you know you're bad at.

The mental state you need to pass module 1 is completely different from what you need to pass module 2. In module 1, you're going to be worked up. This can help you concentrate and perform better if you stop and pause just before moving to respond to the examiner's instructions.

In module 2, you will feel relaxed. This can help if you tell yourself to just ride normally. Then, if you've prepared and have worked out any bad habits, you just ride normally and tell yourself the examiner is a sat-nav. Don't relax too much or you will forget situational awareness, which means risking failing for forgetting a lifesaver, or not looking forward down the road and preparing for developing situations.

Just wanted to add a note on theory test, I used two mobile apps from camrider one for multi choice and one for hazard perception for a total of about 3 quid.

Far cheaper than buying the book, more convenient and the hazard perception shows you exactly how the videos work.

Didn't someone here do their mod 2 with a GPS for speed limits? Wish I'd have though of that.

I'd be wary of that. So many roads have been downgraded eg 30 to 20mph or 60 to 50 mph and my gps satnav shows the higher limit :oops:

• 1 month later...