Funeral in Bury st Edmonds

NeilM

I know there's a fair few on here from down that area.

Is anyone aware of any roadworks/bad congestion hotspots etc?

We are going down tomorrow morning and to be honest I'm trying to work out what daft o'clock time we need to be off.

Heading straight down the A1.

I know about the A1 roadworks up our end.

We need to be in Bury st Edmonds for 10:30 at the latest.

Cheers in advance

I know you're going tomorrow, but looking at your journey on Google Maps, I would have been inclined to book into a nearby B&B or hotel the night before - then you're under no pressure to get there by a particular time. I always do that nowadays, it makes the whole experience far more relaxed - then you haven't got to get up at cuckoo-o-clock in the morning and then do battle with rush hour trafffic for 180 miles! Just thinking about that makes me feel exhausted!

It's not too late to do a last-minute booking into somewhere local to the venue, head off at about 6.30, stop for dinner on the way, arrive about 10pm, get a good night's sleep then have a relaxing morning getting to the venue.

The A14 between Huntingdon (jct 23) and Cambridge (jct 30) is normally pretty slow from around 7am to 9am, and jct 31 to jct 33 can be a bit sticky too...Unfortunately all the alternative routes around Cambridge aren't much better. Once past there you should be OK until Bury St Edmunds itself.

I'd allow 45 mins for the Huntingdon to Cambridge stretch of the A14 if you're likely to be hitting it between 7 and 9. Actually, thinking about it, the stretch from the A1 to where the A14 merges at Spittals can get pretty slow also southbound.......I'd allow an hour for the stretch from the A1 to Cambridge at that time of the morning to be safe.

A14 was a mare Tango.

We got there on time tho. Just.

We had to get to brandon then for the wake, so came back up on the A17. Which was just as bad...lol

But thanks. The funeral went as well as they can do.