Losing braking performance, new pads?

KTM21

I have noticed that my front brake is slowly getting worse, I feel like they are noticeably worse than they were 2 months ago. I checked the pads and there is about 2.5mm of pad left. I saw that the minimum amount of pad thickness to pass an MOT is 1.5mm. Do you think I'd notice a difference if I got some new pads. I bleed my brakes quite often so they don't need bleeding. I saw this on the EBC website but not sure if it's a sales gimmick: "Discard the pads when 4 mm of one eighth of an inch of material is left to avoid brake fade."

why are you bleeding your brakes so often?

replace the pads and see if it makes a difference

but are you getting the lever to the bar or anything like that?

have you got a leaking fork seal dumping oil on to the discs?

why are you bleeding your brakes so often?

replace the pads and see if it makes a difference

but are you getting the lever to the bar or anything like that?

have you got a leaking fork seal dumping oil on to the discs?

When I say often, I don't mean like every week, I probably do it once every two months or something. My brakes are still decent (lever not near grip), just definitely not as good as they were. I don't have a leaking fork seal either. My thinking is that I might as well just replace them now because I'll need to fairly soon anyway.

Like I said why are you bleeding them so often? You may as well throw money away!!

Brake fluid is good for 2 years!

Change the pads and see how things are

Oh I didn't realise you could leave it so long, I thought it was every six months max and I just did it more often for peace of mind and to keep the lever feeling firm. I wont do it so often from now on. I'll get some new pads and see how things go :thumb:

Don't buy cheap pads either. Read some reviews when i bought mine was stuck between the £10-£15 ones or the £25 ones. The cheaper aparently lasted around 2000 miles. Probably something you want for a track day but not the road.

Like I said why are you bleeding them so often? You may as well throw money away!!

Brake fluid is good for 2 years!

Change the pads and see how things are

I change mine every two days, obviously mine take a hammering. New pads and new fluid.

Once you have bled the brakes you shouldnt need to touch them untill you change the fluid (providing you have done it right).

If you're bleeding them regular and getting air out then something in the system is drawing air in.

What pads are in? I cant see you suffering brake fade unless your calipers are sticky.

Are the discs in spec?

Don't buy cheap pads either. Read some reviews when i bought mine was stuck between the £10-£15 ones or the £25 ones. The cheaper aparently lasted around 2000 miles. Probably something you want for a track day but not the road.

My track pads are £50 a set. You wouldnt use cheap pads on the track.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/brake-pads/bike/suzuki/2002/gsx-r600-k2/ebc-brakes-brake-pads-hh-sintered-road-front

I got those for GSXR recently, definitely notice a difference. Obviously I can't say how long they will last just yet :)

I have done 6k on a set of those so far and still plenty left on them!!

dont forget though my bike is probably twice the weight of yours plus most riding is 2 up and 2000 miles was 2 up fully loaded in Europe with lots of hills

they have taken a hammering!